Nathanya Baez Hernandez, M.D., is a pediatric cardiologist at Children's Health℠ and Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. Baez Hernandez’s clinical and research interests include caring for children with heart failure. This condition can result from an inherited medical condition, acquired heart disease or graft failure following a heart transplant. Her practice also focuses on treating chemotherapy-induced cardiomyopathy in pediatric cancer survivors and on reducing post-transplant complications.
She is a graduate of Universidad Tecnologica de Santiago, Dominican Republic. Dr. Baez Hernandez completed her first pediatric residency in the Hospital Regional Universitario Dr. Arturo Grullon. She completed her pediatric internship and residency at Marshfield Clinic in Wisconsin and a cardiology fellowship at Advocate Children’s Hospital in Illinois. During her fellowship, she developed an interest in the management of heart failure. In 2019 she became the first graduate of the Pediatric Heart Failure, Ventricular Assist Device and Transplantation Fellowship Program at UT Southwestern/Children’s Medical Center, Dallas.
Dr. Baez Hernandez is interested in decreasing pediatric cardiac transplant waitlist mortality, morbidity and duration by improving pediatric heart donor utilization. She is also developing a cardio-oncology multidisciplinary team that focuses on the early identification and treatment of those at risk of cardiac dysfunction. She hopes this effort will positively impact the prevention and reduction of cardiac failure in childhood cancer survivors.
Dr. Baez Hernandez is a member of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, The Transplantation Society, the American College of Cardiology and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Dr. Baez Hernandez enjoys sports and considers herself “a fanatic sports woman, always on the run.”
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Universidad Tecnologica de Santiago (2003)
- Marshfield Clinic - Marshfield Center (2015), Pediatrics
Hospital Infantil Regional Universitario Dr.Arturo (2007), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2019), Cardiac Heart Failure/Transplant
Advocate Children's Hospital (2018), Pediatric Cardiology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics/Pediatric Cardiology
- Heart failure in patients with single ventricle physiology
- Improving pediatric heart donor availability and utilization
- Prevention, early identification, and treatment of chemotherapy induced cardiomyopathy in pediatric cancer survivors
- Reducing post-transplant complications
- Baez Hernandez N, Kirk R, Davies R, Bano M, Sutcliffe D, Pirolli T, Jaquiss R, Daneman S, Butts RJ. A comprehensive strategy in donor acceptance: Impact on pediatric waitlist and heart transplant outcomes.Pediatr Transplant. 2020 Jun 14:e13764. doi: 10.1111/petr.13764..PMID: 32536034
- Butts RJ, Baez Hernandez N, Kirk R, Bano M, Davies R. Center Donor Refusal Rate is Associated With Worse Outcomes After Listing in Pediatric Heart Transplantation. Transplantation. 2020 Nov 9. doi: 10.1097/TP.0000000000003514. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33148979
- Baez Hernandez N, Kirk R, Davies R, Roumillat J, Sutcliffe D, Bano M, Butts R. Heart transplantation in an infant with Williams-Beuren syndrome and rapidly progressive ischemic cardiomyopathy. Pediatr Transplant. 2020 Jun;24(4):e13688. doi: 10.1111/petr.13688. Epub 2020 Feb 29.PMID: 32112495
- Power A, Baez Hernandez N, Dipchand AI. Rejection Surveillance in Pediatric Heart Transplant Recipients: Critical Reflection on the Role of Frequent and Long-Term Routine Surveillance Endomyocardial Biopsies and Comprehensive Review of Non-Invasive Rejection Screening Tools. Pediatr Transplant. 2022;e14214. PMID: 35178843
- Butts R, Atz AM, Baez Hernandez N, Sutcliffe D, Reisch J, Mahony L. Carvedilol Does Not Improve Exercise Performance in Fontan Patients: Results of a Crossover Trial. Pediatr Cardiol. 2021 Apr;42(4):934-941. doi: 10.1007/s00246-021-02565-6. Epub 2021 Feb 14.PMID: 33585998
- Utilization of Neurally Adjusted Ventilatory Assist (NAVA) Mode in Infants and Children Undergoing Congenital Heart Surgery: A Retrospective Review. Baez Hernandez N, Milad A, Li Y, Van Bergen AH, Pediatr Cardiol 2019 Mar 40 3 563-569
- The International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (2018)
- The Transplantation Society (2018)
- American College of Cardiology (2015)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2010)
Awards and Honors
- Pediatric Chief Resident Award - Marshfield Clinic, WI (2015)
- Magna Cum Laude, Medical School Graduation Honors - Universidad Tecnologica de Santiago (2003)