Matthew S. Lemler, M.D., is a pediatric cardiologist who practices at Children’s Health℠ and is a Professor of Pediatrics at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Lemler is active in all areas of pediatric cardiology; however, he has special interest and training in echocardiography, fetal echocardiography and the care of children born with complex heart disease that requires multiple stages of cardiac repair.
I love seeing patients overcome their congenital heart conditions. I saw a patient the other day who is getting ready to go to dental school – after surviving two heart surgeries as a young child.
Dr. Lemler earned his medical degree at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston in 1989. He then completed an internship and residency at Children’s Medical Center Dallas. Dr. Lemler completed a pediatric cardiology fellowship at the University of Colorado. He spent an additional year focusing on echocardiographic diagnosis of pediatric heart disease.
Dr. Lemler now serves as the Associate Clinical Director of Pediatric Cardiology. He has either authored or co-authored over 40 peer-reviewed papers related to pediatric cardiology. His research focuses on noninvasive imaging, management of complex congenital heart disease, cardiac effects of chemotherapy, and evaluation of cardiac function.
One of the most rewarding aspects of his practice is watching his patients, who are sick as infants, grow up to live normal, healthy and happy lives.
“I love seeing patients overcome their congenital heart conditions,” says Dr. Lemler. “I saw a patient the other day who is getting ready to go to dental school – after surviving two heart surgeries as a young child.”
Outside the hospital, Dr. Lemler values every minute he spends with his own family, which often includes swimming and watching his two daughters play volleyball.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (1989)
- Children's Medical Center Dallas (1990), Pediatrics
- Children's Medical Center Dallas (1992), Pediatrics
- Children's Hospital of Denver (1996), Pediatric Cardiology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics/Pediatric Cardiology
- Congenital Heart Defects
- Single Ventricle Defect
- Genetic Disorders
- Aortic stenosis
- Fontan procedure
- Non-invasive imaging
- Echocardiographic characteristics of perimembranous ventricular septal defects associated with aortic regurgitation., Eapen RS, Lemler MS, Scott WA, Ramaciotti C J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2003 Mar 16 3 209-13
- Usefulness of external counterpulsation early postoperatively after the Fontan procedure in children., Ma W, Lemler MS, Nikaidoh H, Leonard SR, Shang-Feaster GY, Giroir BP, Stromberg D Am. J. Cardiol.2002 Nov 90 9 1029-31
- Comprehensive assessment of patent ductus arteriosus by echocardiography before transcatheter closure., Ramaciotti C, Lemler MS, Moake L, Zellers TM J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2002 Oct 15 10 Pt 2 1154-9
- Sedation for pediatric echocardiography: evaluation of preprocedure fasting guidelines., Ghaffar S, Haverland C, Ramaciotti C, Scott WA, Lemler MS J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2002 Sep 15 9 980-3
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Heart Association
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Society of Pediatric Echocardiography
Awards and Honors
- D Magazine Best Pediatric Specialists (2014-2015, 2018-2020)
- Super Doctor by Texas Monthly in 2018
- Best Doctors in America - First awarded 2007, annually since (2011)
- Young Investigator Award (2nd Place) - American Academy of Pediatrics (1999)