$$ Hung S. Luu, MD Service Chief at Children's Health Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Dr. Hung S. Luu currently serves as director of Clinical Pathology for the Children's Health℠ Laboratory System. He earned his medical degree from Oregon Health and Science University, where he also completed his residency in general surgery. He completed his residency in anatomic and clinical pathology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and a fellowship in hematopathology at City of Hope National Medical Center in California.
His research interests include pediatric hematologic malignancies, hematology with an emphasis in hemoglobinopathies and coagulation and incorporating lean principles into laboratory operations to improve processes and outcomes.
Dr. Luu is also medical director for the laboratory at the Legacy Heart Center in Plano.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolOregon Health Sciences Univ School of Medicine (2004)
InternshipOregon Health & Science University - OHSU GME (2005), General Surgery
ResidencyCedars-Sinai Medical Center - current affiliation (2009), Pathology
FellowshipBoston Children's Hospital (2010), Pediatric Pathology
Research & Publications
- Detection of Intracellular Parasites Utilizing the CellaVision DM96 on Routine Screening of Peripheral Blood Smears., Racsa LD, Gander RM, Southern PM, McElvania TeKippe E, Doern C, Luu HS J. Clin. Microbiol. 2014 Nov
- Mature neutrophils with Auer rods following treatment with all-trans retinoic acid for acute promyelocytic leukemia., Luu HS, Rahaman PA Blood 2015 Jul 126 1 121
- Myeloid and Lymphoid Neoplasm With Abnormalities of FGFR1 Presenting With Trilineage Blasts and RUNX1 Rearrangement: A Case Report and Review of Literature., Kumar KR, Chen W, Koduru PR, Luu HS Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 2015 May 143 5 738-48
- Applying the Principles of Lean Production to Gastrointestinal Biopsy Handling: From the Factory Floor to the Anatomic Pathology Laboratory., Sugianto JZ, Stewart B, Ambruzs JM, Arista A, Park JY, Cope-Yokoyama S, Luu HS Lab Med 2015 46 3 259-264
- Novel r(2)(p25q31) Cytogenetic Abnormality in a Pediatric Patient With Acute Leukemia of Ambiguous Lineage., Kim J, Bu L, Koduru PR, Wilson KS, Fuda FS, Kumar KR, Timmons CF, Slone TL, Luu HS Pediatr. Dev. Pathol. 2014 Dec
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
- American Society of Hematology
- College of American Pathologists
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology