Hadi Sakhai, M.D., is an anesthesiologist at Children’s Health℠ and an Assistant Professor of Pediatric Anesthesiology at UT Southwestern. He is a member of Anesthesiologists for Children and is dual board-certified in pediatric anesthesiology and general anesthesiology.
Dr. Sakhai completed his medical degree at The Ohio State University. He went on to his residency in anesthesiology at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation followed by his pediatric anesthesiology fellowship at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. During his fellowship, Dr. Sakhai performed research in airway mechanics during the induction of anesthesia.
He chose pediatric anesthesiology for multiple reasons. As he puts it: “Children are our future. When I’m involved in their care, I think about how their whole life is ahead of them and the immense responsibility to make their need for a procedure under anesthesia as painless and stress-free as possible. Whether a child is undergoing a 5-minute procedure that doesn’t require an IV or a 12-hour procedure requiring advanced monitoring techniques, I strive to provide a safe passage the entire procedure with the quality of care that I would give my own children.”
Dr. Sakhai is a member of the hospital’s health information management committee as well as the medical records committee. He is the champion of a quality improvement initiative that successfully led to improving normothermia (normal body temperature) in most surgical patients.
On his off days, Dr. Sakhai enjoys gardening and home improvement projects. He likes snowboarding and bicycling with his three daughters and wife and is a Buckeyes fan.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Ohio State University (1999)
- Maimonides Medical Center (2000), Surgery, General
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (2003), Anesthesiology
- Childrens Hospital of Pittsburgh (2004), Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Anesthesiology(Pediatric Anesthesiology),
American Board of Anesthesiology
- Atrial Septal Defect
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
- Pyloric Stenosis
- Tetralogy of Fallot (TOF)
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD)
- Supraventricular Tachycardia
- Wolf-Parkinson-White Syndrome
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Fiberoptic Intubation for Difficult Airway
- Ultrasound guided Intravenous Catheter (IV) Insertion
- Caudal Anesthesia
- Ilioinguinal/Iliohypogastric Peripheral Nerve Block
- Scrotal Peripheral Nerve Block
- Penile Nerve Block
- Lumbar Epidural Anesthesia
Departments and Programs
Dr. Hadi Sakhai performed airway mechanics research with Dr. Etsuro Motoyama (world renowned researcher in pediatric airways) at Children’s Hospital Pittsburgh during his time there for his fellowship. Currently Dr. Sakhai is the leader of a multidisciplinary collaboration to reduce the number of pediatric patients who arrive to recovery room hypothermic. Dr. Sakhai’s efforts along with the entire perioperative department has led to a dramatic improvement in the above numbers. Dr. Sakhai remains committed to advancing pediatric anesthesiology knowledge through research and is actively participating in multiple research projects.
- Sakhai H, Bocanegra A, Chandran N, Kiss E, Kimatian S: How Autonomous Drive and a Team Model Leads to Reduction in Post-Operative Hypothermia; Currently under submission for publication, 2020
- Sakhai H, Grover L, Kravitz B, Szmuk P: Use of Inhalational Anesthetics and Neuromuscular Blocking Agents in the ICU; Comprehensive Critical Care; Pediatric, August 1, 2012
- Sakhai H, Casta A: Use of Nitric Oxide for Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertensive Crisis in a Child After Protamine Administration; Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesiology; Volume 20, Issue 5, October 2006
- Capps R, Sakhai H, Cheung P: PreTest Anatomy: pretest self-assessment and review. Student Reviewer, 9th Edition, 1999
- Member of HIM/HER Committee
- Member of Hospital’s Medical Records Committee
- Co-Chair of Physician Recruitment Committee
- Administrator of department SharePoint Site
- Co-Chair of Website Committee
Awards and Honors
Hadi Sakhai, M.D. was awarded the Award for Academic Excellence at The Ohio State University. Dr. Sakhai graduated with Honors in Liberal Arts and with the Summa Award from The Ohio State University. The award recognizes exceptional academic performance throughout the undergraduate studies.
Where I Provide Care
American Board of Anesthesiology