$$ Daniel J. Sucato, MD Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
Credentialed by Children's Health
Dallas, Texas 75219
Dan Sucato, M.D., is an orthopedic surgeon at Children’s Health℠ who specializes in spinal deformity.
Dr. Sucato received his medical degree (magna cum laude) and a Master of Science degree in biophysics from Buffalo School of Medicine, State University of New York. While there, he also completed his general surgery internship, orthopaedic residency and basic science research fellowship.
Dr. Sucato is widely published in the area of spinal deformity and has delivered dozens of presentations worldwide. His interests are spinal deformity, thoracoscopic approaches to the spine, hip conditions, and adolescent hip dysplasia and its treatment with the Ganz pericetabular osteotomy.
Dr. Sucato is a member of the American Medical Association, the Texas Medical Association, the Scoliosis Research Society, the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolState Univ of NY at Buffalo School of Medicine (1991)
InternshipState University of New York at Buffalo (1992), General Surgery
ResidencyState University of New York at Buffalo (1997), Orthopaedic Surgery
FellowshipTexas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children (1998), Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
Graduate SchoolState University of New York at Buffalo (1997)
Departments & Programs
Research & Publications
- Hip conditions in the adolescent and young adult
- Spinal deformity (scoliosis and kyphosis)
- Femoral Nerve Palsy in Pavlik Harness Treatment for Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip, Murnaghan ML, Browne RH, Sucato DJ, Birch JG J Bone Joint Surgery 2011 93 (5) 493-499
- Complications Associated with the Bernese Periacetabular Osteotomy for Hip Dysplasia in Adolescents, Thawrani D, Sucato DJ, Podeszwa DA, DeLaRocha A J Bone Joint Surgery 2010 92 (7) 1707-1714
- Spinal Cord Monitoring in Patients with Spinal Deformity and Neural Axis Abnormalities: A Comparison with Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Patients, El-Hawary R, Sucato DJ ,Sparagana S, McClung A, Van Allen E, Rampy P Spine 2006 31 (19) E698-E706
- Operative Correction of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis in Male Patients: A Radiographic and Functional Outcome Comparison with Female Patients, Sucato DJ, Hedequist D, Karol LA J Bone Joint Surgery 2004 86-A (9) 2005-2014
- The Position of the Aorta Relative to the Spine: A Comparison of Patients With and Without Idiopathic Scoliosis, Sucato DJ, Duchene C J Bone Joint Surgery 2003 85-A (8) 1461-1469
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Scoliosis Research Society
- Texas Medical Association
Awards & Honors
- International Traveling Fellow - Scoliosis Research Society (2003)