Dai Chung, M.D., is a chief surgeon and SVP of Surgical Services at Children’s Health℠. He is also the chief medical officer of the joint pediatric enterprise for Children’s Health and UT Southwestern. Dr. Chung specializes in treating pediatric solid tumors, minimally invasive surgery and pediatric burns. He has also done significant research in developing novel targeted therapeutics against neuroblastoma, the most common extracranial solid tumor in children.
Dr. Chung earned his medical degree at The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, where he also completed an internship and a residency in surgery. He completed his pediatric surgical training at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and research fellowships with The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston and Shriners Hospitals for Children - Galveston Burn Hospital.
Dr. Chung has published more than 140 academic articles and contributed to dozens of books. He is a sought-after speaker and has delivered presentations around the world. He is a member of numerous surgical societies and has also been awarded a special certificate of membership with The Surgical Research Society of South Africa.
As a native Texan, Dr. Chung is proud to elevate surgical care for kids in Dallas and help shape the next generation of pediatric surgeons. He enjoys spending his free time with his wife and two daughters.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (1988)
- University of Texas Medical Branch - Galveston (1989), General Surgery
- University of Texas Medical Branch - Galveston (1994), General Surgery
- Childrens Hospital Medical Center of Cincinnati (1996), Pediatric Surgery
Shriners Childrens Hospital - Galveston (1992), Burn Surgery
- Board Certification
- American Board of Surgery/Pediatric Surgery
- WDR5 is a conserved regulator of protein synthesis gene expression. Bryan AF, Wang J, Howard GC, Guarnaccia AD, Woodley CM, Aho ER, Rellinger EJ, Matlock BK, Flaherty DK, Lorey SL, Chung DH, Fesik, SW, Liu Q, Weissmiller AM, Tansey WP. Nucleic Acids Res 2020 (Epud ahead of print). PMID:31996893
- Overexpression of mRNA-145 inhibits tumorigenesis through autophagy in chemotherapy and radiation resistant neuroblastoma cells. Kim K, Qiao J, Kim J, Park P, Lee S, Chung DH. Oncoscience (in press).
- Dual-targeting Akt2 and Erk in cancer stem-like cells in neuroblastoma. Kim K, Kim J, Qiao J, Clark RA, Powers C, Correa H, Chung, DH. Oncotarget 2019 Sep 24;10:5645-5659. PMID:31608140
- Appendicitis: How it has changed over the last few decades. Swischuck L, Chung DH, Hawkins HK, Radhakrishnan R, Tran S, Camacho A. Arch Clin Med Case Rep 2019;3(6):621-631.
- Identification of α-N-catenin as a Novel Tumor Suppressor in Neuroblastoma. Qiao J, Rellinger EJ, Kim K, Powers CM, Lee S, Correa H, Chung DH. Oncotarget 2019 Aug;10:5028-5040. PMID:31489113
- Neuroblastoma: Tumor biology and its implications for staging and treatment. Van Arendonk K, Chung DH. Children MDPI 2019, 6(1);12. PMID:30658459.
- Association between image-defined risk factors and neuroblastoma outcomes. Phelps HM, Ndolo JM, Van Arendonk KJ, Chen H, Dietrich HL, Watson KD, Hilmes MA, Chung DH, Lovvorn HL. J Pediatr Surg. 2019;54:1184-1191. PMID:3088555.
- De novo variants in congenital diaphragmatic hernia identify MYRF as a new syndrome and reveal genetic overlaps with other developmental disorders. Qi H, Yu L, Zhou X, Wynn J. Zhao H, Guo Y, Zhu N, Kitaygorodsky A, Hernan R, Aspelund G, Lim FY, Crombleholme T, Cusick R, Azarow K, Danko ME, Chung DH, Warner BW, Mychaliska GB, Potoka D, Wagner AJ. PLoS Genet, Dec 2018;14. PMID:30532227
- Characterization of pediatric golf cart injuries to guide injury prevention efforts. Starnes JR, Unni P, Fathy CA, Harms KA, Payne SR, Chung DH. Am J Emerg Med. 2018 Jun;36(6):1049-1052. PMID:29530356.
- Inhibition of sirtuin 6 induces neuroblastoma differentiation. Song HY, Rellinger EJ, Park S-H, Paul R, Qiao J, Vasilopoulos A, Ozden O, Gius D, Chung DH. Anticancer Res. 2018 Feb;38(2):647-654. PMID:29374686
- Director, Pediatric Surgical Research Laboratory, UTSW
- Associate Program Director, Pediatric Surgery Residency, UTSW
- Research Council, Department of Surgery, UTSW
- Member, Pediatric Group Practice Committee, UTSW
- Executive Leadership Team, Department of Surgery, UTSW
- Member, Surgical Services Executive Committee, UTSW
- Chair, Operating Room Executive Committee, Children’s Health
- Chair, Operating Room Committee, Children’s Health
- SVP, Surgical Services at Children’s Health
- Perioperative Governance, UTSW & Children’s Health
- Member, Executive Leadership Team, Children’s Health
- Member ex officio, Children’s Health Operating Division Board of Directors
- Medical Executive Committee, Children’s Medical Center Dallas
- Member, Surgical Value Analysis Committee, Children’s Health
- Physician Supervisor, Advanced Practice Providers for Pediatric Surgery
- Chair, ACS Children’s Surgery Verification Performance Improvement & Patient Safety Committee, CMC Dallas
- Chair, ACS Children’s Surgery Verification Steering Committee, CMC Dallas
Awards and Honors
- Society of University Surgeons Travel Award to Surgical Research Society of South Africa, Johannesburg (2017, 2009)
- Society of University Surgeons Representative to Surgical Research Society of South Africa, Cape Town (2016)
- Society of University Surgeons Representative to Surgical Research Society of South Africa, Bloemfontein (2015)
- Director, The American Board of Surgery (2013 - 2019)
- Director, The American Board of Surgery, Pediatric Surgery Board (2013 - 2019)
- President, Society of University Surgeons Foundation (2013 - 2018)
- SUS Travel Award to Japan Surgical Society, Tokyo (2012)
- SUS Travel Award to Society of Academic & Research Surgery, Dublin (2011)
- SUS Travel Award to European Society of Surgical Research, Geneva (2011)
- Top Doctors in Nashville (2011 - 2017)
- Best Doctor in America (2011 - 2020)
- Best Doctor in Middle Tennessee (2011 - 2017)
- President, Society of University Surgeons (2010)
- President-Elect, Society of University Surgeons (2009)
- Werner Creutzfeldt Lectureship, Inter. Regulatory Peptide Society (2009)
- NIH Bioengineering, Technology and Surgical Sciences Study Section (2008 - 2012)
- America’s Top Surgeons (2008)
- Texas Super Doctors-Pediatric Surgery (2006 - 2010)
- Shipley Award, Southern Surgical Association (2004)
- Outstanding Teacher, Department of Surgery, UTMB (2000, 2001, 2004)
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Resident Representative (1992 - 1994)
- Resident’s Prize at the Singleton Surgical Society (1992)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society (1992)
- Resident’s Prize at the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract (1991)
- University of Texas at Austin, cum laude (1984)
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honor Society, University of Texas at Austin (1983)