Inspired by the energy of pediatric patients who were always motivated to recover and return to play, Angela Price, M.D. knew – as a neurosurgery resident – that she wanted to spend her career working with children. And, when she began her fellowship in pediatric neurosurgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center, she was quickly drawn to epilepsy surgery, which has the potential to dramatically alter a child’s quality of life.
“There are children whose lives are being impaired by seizures, and when we can reduce the number or eradicate those seizures, they grow and blossom into happy, functional individuals,” she says.
Dr. Price has special interest in treating complex conditions that cause multiple seizures in children, as well as numerous side effects from the medications used to treat them. She is especially skilled in performing functional hemispherotomy, a form of advanced brain surgery.
Almost all patients who undergo this surgery will be seizure free and see significant medication reductions!
“Almost all patients who undergo this surgery will be seizure free and see significant medication reductions!” she says.
Dr. Price, who earned her medical degree from the University of Calgary and completed her residency at the University of Calgary Foothills Medical Centre before moving to Dallas, also treats a variety of other pediatric neurological conditions. On any given day, she may see patients with spina bifida – a neural tube defect present at birth; hydrocephalus – a condition that causes excessive accumulation of fluid in the brain; cranial trauma and brain injuries; or brain and nervous system cancers.
“I’m lucky to be able to treat and operate on a wide variety of neurological conditions,” she says. “And I truly enjoy the relationships I build with these children and their families.”
Outside of her practice, Dr. Price is a mom to two of her own busy children. When she’s not watching them thrive in their numerous activities, she enjoys exercising as well as cooking, baking, and dipping chocolates.
She is an active member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery, the Canadian Congress of Neurological Sciences, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, the Texas American Medical Association, the Canadian Medical Association, and the Dallas County Medical Society.
And, Dr. Price is a well-respected educator in her field. She has received a Certificate of Merit in Clinical Teaching Skills at UT Southwestern Medical Center, where she currently serves as an assistant professor in neurological surgery and pediatrics.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Calgary (1994)
- Foothills Hospital and Medical Center - Calgary (2000), Neurosurgery
- UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (2001), Pediatric Neurological Surgery
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatric Neurological Surgery,
American Board of Neurological Surgery
- Anaplastic Astrocytoma
- Apert Syndrome
- Arachnoid Cysts
- Atypical Teratoid Rhabdoid Tumor
- Brain Abscess
- Chiari Malformations
- Cortical Dysplasia
- Hemorrhagic Stroke
- Intractable Epilepsy
- Lipomas (Skin Lesions)
- Malformations of Cortical Development
- Pfeiffer Syndrome
- Pilocytic Astrocytoma
- Pleomorphic Xanthoastrocytoma
- Spina Bifida (Myelomeningocele)
- Tethered Cord
- Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC)
- External Ventricular Drain
- Management of Chiari malformations Management of complex craniofacial anomalies
- Management of hydrocephalu
- Management of spinal dysraphism and repair of spinal cord anomalies
- MRI-guided laser ablation
- Myelomeningocele repair
- Shunt Placement
- Surgical management of Epilepsy
- Treatment of all tumors of the central nervous system
- Vagal Nerve Stimulation
- Visualase – laser ablation
- Pediatric Brain Tumors
- Intractable Epiepsy
- A retrospective analysis of open surgical versus laser interstitial thermal therapy callosotomy in pediatric patients with refractory epilepsy. James Caruso, MB Janjua, Alison Dolce and Angela Price. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics In press.
- Arocho-Quinones EV, Lew SM, Handler MH, Tovar-Spinoza Z, Smyth M, Bollo R, Donahue D, Perry MS, Levy ML, Gonda D, Mangano FT, Storm PB, Price AV, Couture DE, Oluigbo C, Duhaime AC, Barnett GH, Muh CR, Sather MD, Fallah A, Wang AC, Bhatia S, Patel K, Tarima S, Graber S, Huckins S, Hafez DM, Rumalla K, Bailey L, Shandley S, Roach A, Alexander E, Jenkins W, Tsering D, Price G, Meola A, Evanoff W, Thompson EM, Brandmeir N; Pediatric Stereotactic Laser Ablation Workgroup. Magnetic resonance-guided stereotactic laser ablation therapy for the treatment of pediatric brain tumors: a multi institutional retrospective study. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2020 Mar 27:1-9. doi: 10.3171/2020.1.PEDS19496. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32217793.
- Janjua MB, Ban VS, El Ahmadieh TY, Hwang SW, Samdani AF, Price AV, Weprin BE, Batjer H. Diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomas: Diagnostic approach and treatment strategies. J Clin Neurosci. 2020 Feb;72:15-19. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2019.12.001. Epub 2019 Dec 20. PMID: 31870682.
- Burhan Janjua M, Reddy S, El Ahmadieh TY, Shen Ban V, Hwang SW, Ozturk AK, Price AV, Weprin BE, Batjer H. Inchoate guidelines of endoscopic resection of colloid cysts. J Clin Neurosci. 2020 Jan;71:1-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2019.12.017. Epub 2019 Dec 12. PubMed PMID: 31839383.
- Janjua MB, Reddy S, Welch WC, Samdani AF, Ozturk AK, Hwang SW, Price AV, Weprin BE, Swift DM. Thirty-day readmission risk after intracranial tumor resection surgeries in children. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2019 Nov 1:1-9. doi: 10.3171/2019.7.PEDS19272. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 31675691.
- Janjua MB, Reddy S, Welch WC, Ozturk AK, Price AV, Weprin B, Swift DM, Krisht AF. Concomitant ruptured anterior circulation and unruptured posterior circulation aneurysms: Treatment strategy and review of literature. J Clin Neurosci. 2019 Aug;66:252-258. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2019.04.040. Epub 2019 May 18. Review. PubMed PMID: 31113699.
- Janjua MB, Reddy S, Samdani AF, Welch WC, Ozturk AK, Price AV, Weprin BE, Swift DM. Predictors of 90-Day Readmission in Children Undergoing Spinal Cord Tumor Surgery: A Nationwide Readmissions Database Analysis. World Neurosurg. 2019 Jul;127:e697-e706. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2019.03.245. Epub 2019 Apr 1. PubMed PMID: 30947001.
- Kaufmann AM, Price AV. A history of the Jannetta procedure. J Neurosurg. 2019 Feb 1:1-8. doi: 10.3171/2018.10.JNS181983. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30717044.
- El Ahmadieh TY, Wolfe CB, Koueik J, Weprin BE, Iskandar BJ, Price AV. Intraventricular bone dust migration after neuroendoscopy: report of 2 cases. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2018 Nov 1;22(5):578-583. doi: 10.3171/2018.5.PEDS18152.PubMed PMID: 30095348.
- El Ahmadieh TY, Sillero R, Kafka B, Aoun SG, Price AV. Isolated Dorsal Thoracic Neuroenteric Cyst with Spinal Cord Compression: Case Reports in Pediatrics. World Neurosurg. 2018 Oct;118:296-300. doi:10.1016/j.wneu.2018.07.147. Epub 2018 Jul 25. PubMed PMID: 30055362.
- Hamilton MG, Price AV. Syndrome of inappropriately low-pressure acute hydrocephalus (SILPAH). Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2012;113:155-9. doi:10.1007/978-3-7091-0923-6_31. PubMed PMID: 22116443.
- Gage EA, Price AV, Swift DM, Sacco DJ, Fearon JA. Limited reduction cranioplasty for the treatment of hydrocephalic macrocephaly. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 Dec;128(6):1272-80. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e3182221404. PubMed PMID:22094746.
- Haque A, Price AV, Sklar FH, Swift DM, Weprin BE, Sacco DJ. Screw fixation of the upper cervical spine in the pediatric population. Clinical article. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2009 Jun;3(6):529-33. doi: 10.3171/2009.2.PEDS08149. PubMedPMID: 19485741.
- Kershenovich A, Price AV, Koral K, Goldman S, Swift DM. Failure to treat obstructive hydrocephalus with endoscopic third ventriculostomy in a patient with neurodegenerative Langerhans cell histiocytosis. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2008 Nov;2(5):304-9. doi: 10.3171/PED.2008.2.11.304. PubMed PMID: 18976098.
- Steinbok P, Singhal A, Mills J, Cochrane DD, Price AV. Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak and pseudomeningocele formation after posterior fossa tumor resection in children: a retrospective analysis. Childs Nerv Syst. 2007 Feb;23(2):171-4;discussion 175. Epub 2006 Sep 19. PubMed PMID: 17047966.
- Steinbok P, Heran N, Hicdonmez T, Cochrane DD, Price A. Minimizing blood transfusions in the surgical correction of coronal and metopic craniosynostosis. Childs Nerv Syst. 2004 Jul;20(7):445-52. Epub 2004 May 26. PubMed PMID: 15168053.
- Steinbok P, Cochrane DD, Perrin R, Price A. Mutism after posterior fossa tumour resection in children: incomplete recovery on long-term follow-up. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2003 Oct;39(4):179-83. PubMed PMID: 12944697.
- Angela V. Price, Shi Q, Morris D, Wilcox ME, Brasher P, Rewcastle NB, Shalinsky D, Appelt K, Johnston R, Yong VW, Edwards DR and Forsyth PA: Marked inhibition of tumor growth in a malignant glioma tumor model by a novel synthetic matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor AG3340. Clinical Cancer Research. Vol 5, 845-854. 1999.
- Gustavo Leone, Roy Duncan, David J.C.W. Mah, Angela V. Price, L. William Cashdollar and Patrick W.K. Lee: The N-terminal Heptad Repeat Region of Reovirus Cell Attachment Protein 1 is Responsible for 1 Oligomer Stability and Possesses Intrinsic Oligomerization Function.. Virology 182, 336-345. 1991.
- CNS, Full active member
- AANS, Full active member
- ISPN, Full active member
- CCNS, Full active member
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, Full active member
- Texas AMA, Full active member
- CMA, Full active member
- Dallas County Medical Society, Full active Member
- SNS (Southern Neurosurgical Society), Membership pending
Awards and Honors
- D Magazine Best Pediatric Specialist (2010-2013, 2015-2020)
- Certificate of Merit in Clinical Teaching Skills (2003)
- Gold Star Award for Teaching Excellence (1999)
Where I Provide Care:
American Board of Neurological Surgery