$$ Angela Vivian Price, MD Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Inspired by the energy of pediatric patients who were always motivated to recover and return to play, Angela Price, M.D. knew – as a neurosurgery resident – that she wanted to spend her career working with children. And, when she began her fellowship in pediatric neurosurgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center, she was quickly drawn to epilepsy surgery, which has the potential to dramatically alter a child’s quality of life.
“There are children whose lives are being impaired by seizures, and when we can reduce the number or eradicate those seizures, they grow and blossom into happy, functional individuals,” she says.
Dr. Price has special interest in treating complex conditions that cause multiple seizures in children, as well as numerous side effects from the medications used to treat them. She is especially skilled in performing functional hemispherotomy, a form of advanced brain surgery.
“Almost all patients who undergo this surgery will be seizure free and see significant medication reductions!” she says.
Dr. Price, who earned her medical degree from the University of Calgary and completed her residency at the University of Calgary Foothills Medical Centre before moving to Dallas, also treats a variety of other pediatric neurological conditions. On any given day, she may see patients with spina bifida – a neural tube defect present at birth; hydrocephalus – a condition that causes excessive accumulation of fluid in the brain; cranial trauma and brain injuries; or brain and nervous system cancers.
“I’m lucky to be able to treat and operate on a wide variety of neurological conditions,” she says. “And I truly enjoy the relationships I build with these children and their families.”
Outside of her practice, Dr. Price is a mom to two of her own busy children. When she’s not watching them thrive in their numerous activities, she enjoys exercising as well as cooking, baking, and dipping chocolates.
She is an active member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery, the Canadian Congress of Neurological Sciences, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, the Texas American Medical Association, the Canadian Medical Association, and the Dallas County Medical Society.
And, Dr. Price is a well-respected educator in her field. She has received a Certificate of Merit in Clinical Teaching Skills at UT Southwestern Medical Center, where she currently serves as an assistant professor in neurological surgery and pediatrics.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolUniversity of Calgary (1994)
ResidencyFoothills Hospital and Medical Center - Calgary (2000), Neurosurgery
FellowshipUT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (2001), Pediatric Neurological Surgery
Conditions & Treatments
External Ventricular Drain
Management of Chiari malformations
Management of complex craniofacial anomalies
Management of hydrocephalus
Management of spinal dysraphism and repair of spinal cord anomalies
MRI-guided laser ablation
Surgical management of Epilepsy
Treatment of all tumors of the central nervous system
Vagal Nerve Stimulation
Visualase – laser ablation
Research & Publications
- Haque A, Price AV, Sklar FH, Swift DM, Weprin BE, Sacco DJ. Screw fixation of the upper cervical spine in the pediatric population. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2009 Jun;3(6):529-33.
- Kershenovich A, Price AV, Koral K, Goldman S, Swift DM. Failure to treat obstructive hydrocephalus with endoscopic third ventriculostomy in a patient with neurodegenerative Langerhans cell histiocytosis. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2008 Nov;2(5):304-9.
- Gage E., Price A, Swift D, Sacco D, Fearon J. Limited Reduction Cranioplasty for the Treatment of Hydrocephalic Macrocephaly. Plastic and Reconstructive Journal. Volume 128, Number 6. December, 2011. Pp 1272-1280.
- Angela V. Price and Dale Swift: Dynamic cervicomedullary compression without vertebral instability in a patient with chiari II malformation (in progress)
- Angela V. Price, Paul Steinbok and D. Douglas Cochrane: Cervicomedullary compression presenting with subtle neurological and radiographic findings. (in progress)
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- CNS, Full active member
- AANS, Full active member
- ISPN, Full active member
- CCNS, Full active member
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, Full active member
- Texas AMA, Full active member
- CMA, Full active member
- Dallas County Medical Society, Full active Member
- SNS (Southern Neurosurgical Society), Membership pending
Awards & Honors
- Certificate of Merit in Clinical Teaching Skills (2003)
- Gold Star Award for Teaching Excellence (1999)