Robert N. Hogan, M.D., Ph.D., practices neuro-ophthalmology and ocular pathology at Children’s Health℠.
Dr. Hogan earned his medical degree at George Washington University School of Medicine and completed his residency in ophthalmology at UT Southwestern Medical Center, where he also completed a fellowship in neuro-ophthalmology. He then completed further training in neuro-ophthalmology and ocular oncology/pathology at Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Hogan has received several prominent awards and honors that include Texas Monthly Super Doctors, D Magazine Best Doctors in Dallas, and he is board certified by American Board of Ophthalmology.
It was his mother’s condition that led him to medicine. “My mother had multiple sclerosis (MS) and that inspired me to go into medicine to help others. Every day, challenge is why I enjoy being a physician.”
Free time away from his work, Dr. Hogan enjoys traveling and reading.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- George Washington Univ Schl of Med/Health Sciences (1990)
- Parkland Memorial Hospital (1991), Transitional Year
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Ctr GME (1994), Ophthalmology
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1996), Pathology
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary (1996), Neuro-Ophthalmology
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Ctr GME (1995), Neuro-Ophthalmology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Ophthalmology
Departments and Programs
- Contact lenses and prion disease
- Retinal degeneration in human spongiform encephalopathies
- Retrolaminar Migration of Intraocular Silicone Oil. Boren RA, Cloy CD, Gupta AS, Dewan VN, Hogan RN. J Neuroophthalmol. 2016 Dec;36(4):439-447. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0000000000000440. PMID: 27636746
- Polymicrobial infection confined to Ahmed glaucoma shunt. Lee JC, Evers BM, Cavuoti D, Hogan RN, Kooner KS. Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep. 2020 Jan 16;18:100596. doi: 10.1016/j.ajoc.2020.100596. eCollection 2020 Jun. PMID: 32195438
- Conjunctival changes following Muller's muscle conjunctival resection. Beaulieu R, McDonnell E, Scofield-Kaplan SM, Evers BM, Hogan RN, Mancini R. Int Ophthalmol. 2022 Jun;42(6):1689-1695. doi: 10.1007/s10792-021-02163-8. Epub 2022 Jan 30. PMID: 35094223
- American Association of Ophthalmic Oncologists and Pathologists
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society
- Society of Heeds Fellows
- Verhoeff-Zimmerman Society
Awards and Honors
- Texas Monthly Magazine Super Doctors (2014)
- D Magazine Best Doctors in Dallas (2013)
- America’s Top Ophthalmologists - Consumers’ Research Council of America (2011)
- Board of Directors - American Association of Ophthalmic Oncologists and Pathologists (2011)
- Chairman - Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies Advisory Cmte. to the FDA, 2009-2014 (0)