Nancy Kelly, M.D., M.P.H., is a pediatrician at Children’s Health℠. Dr. Kelly is also a professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Kelly earned her medical degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. She completed her pediatrics residency and chief residency at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and fellowship training in academic general pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine.
I have the privilege of promoting the health of children in North Texas and also teaching medical students and residents – our future physicians!
Dr. Kelly's clinical and research areas of interest include immunizations, advocacy, and education.
"Being a pediatrician is a rewarding career," Dr. Kelly says. "I have the privilege of promoting the health of children in North Texas and also teaching medical students and residents – our future physicians!"
D Magazine recognized Dr. Kelly as one of the Best Pediatric Specialists (General Pediatrics) in Dallas.
In her free time, Dr. Kelly enjoys gardening and spending time with family and friends.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (1987)
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (1988), Pediatrics
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (1991), Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine (1994), Academic Medicine
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics
Departments and Programs
- Immunization delivery
- Poison prevention and poison center utilization
- Resident and medical student education
- Chamberlain LJ, Kelly N. Child Advocacy in the Twenty-first Century. In Kappy MS (Ed), Advances in Pediatrics, Volume 62, Philadelphia, PA. 2015.
- Kelly NR, Sanchez SH. Is syrup of ipecac still for sale? Comparison of pharmacies in a large urban area – 2003 vs. 2005. Clin Pediatr 2007;46:320-324.
- Kelly NR, Kromelis MR, Jordan D, Merryman R, Siegel JD. Feasibility of delivering influenza vaccine to household contacts of pediatric patients in a residents’ continuity clinic. American Journal of Infection Control. 2012;40:627-623
- Kelly NR, Harding JT, Fulton JE, Kozinetz CA. A randomized controlled trial of a video module to increase U.S. poison center use by low-income parents. Clin Toxicol 2014;52:54-62.
- Teran PR, Wong R, Van Ramshorst RD, Loh M, Cherian S, Ahlers-Schmidt CR, Okut H. Kelly N. Evaluation of Legislative Advocacy Alerts for Pediatric Residents. Clinical Pediatrics. 2020. DOI: 10.1177/0009922820904596
- Assessing parental utilization of the poison center: An emergency center-based survey, Kelly NR, Kirkland RT, Holmes SE, Ellis MD, Delclos G, Kozinetz CA Clinical Pediatrics 1997 36(8) 467-473
- Is syrup of ipecac still for sale? Comparison of pharmacies in a large urban area - 2003 vs. 2005, Kelly NR, Sanchez SH Clinical Pediatrics 2007 46 320-324
- Transportation barriers to accessing health care for urban children, Zarr RL, Yang S, Kass-Hout T, Kourosh A, Kelly NR Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 2006 17(4) 928-943
- Prevention of Poisonings in Children, Kelly NR Rose, BD (Ed) Up To date, Wellesley, MA 2005
- Effects of a video to increase use of poison control centers among low-income and Spanish-speaking families: A randomized controlled trial., Kelly NR, Huffman LC, Mendoza FS, Robinson TN Pediatrics 2003 111 (1) 21-26
- Academic Pediatric Association
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Society of Pediatric Research
- Association of Pediatric Program Directors
Awards and Honors
- Special Achievement Award for Distinguished Service and Dedication of the Mission and Goals of the Academy - Texas Pediatric Society (2020)
- Southwestern Academy of Teachers (SWAT) - UTSW Medical Center (2019)
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas General Pediatrics - D Magazine (2015)
- Nominee for DFW Hospital Council Foundation Physician of the Year - Children's Medical Center (2014)
- Educational Innovation Award (for development of Community Pediatrics and Advocacy Curriculum for pediatric residents) UTSW Pediatric Residency Program - UTSW Medical Center Dallas, TX (2012)
- Fulbright and Jaworski L.L.P. Faculty Excellence Award - Baylor College of Medicine - Development of Enduring Educational Materials (2005)
- Golden Apple Award - Stanford University - Excellence in Resident Education (1999)
- Don E. Hill Memorial Award - Arkansas Children’s Hospital - Excellence in Research (1990)