Marina Santos Oren, MD $$
Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Languages Spoken:
- English, Spanish,Portuguese,
Marina Santos Oren, M.D., is a neonatologist at Children’s Health℠ and Assistant Professor of Neonatology at UT Southwestern. She specializes in the respiratory care of newborns with a clinical focus on patent ductus arteriosus, a heart defect found in the days or weeks after birth.
She earned her medical degree from Universidade do Estado do Para in Brazil. Dr. Santos Oren completed residency training in pediatrics at Tufts Medical Center and her fellowship training in neonatology at the University of New Mexico.
"Being a neonatologist is getting to celebrate even the smallest changes with our patients and their wonderful families,” says Dr. Santos Oren. “It is one of life's most fulfilling experiences to be able to send a tiny warrior home who could fit in the palm of your hand when they were born. It is an honor to care for these babies and their amazing parents."
Being a neonatologist is getting to celebrate even the smallest changes with our patients and their wonderful families.
Dr. Santos Oren participates in research that helps improve the health of neonates. She has presented lectures across the country and helps teach the next generation of physicians through lectures and clinical training. She is passionate about helping the smallest patients breathe, eat and grow.
In her free time, Dr. Santos Oren enjoys spending time with her family, running and biking. She speaks English, Portuguese and Spanish.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Universidade Estadual do Para (2008)
- Tufts Medical Center (2021), Pediatrics
Hospital Das Clinicas FMUSP (2011), Pediatrics
- University of New Mexico Health Science Center (2019), Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
Hospital Das Clinicas FMUSP (2012), Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics/Neonatal-Perinatal
Departments and Programs
- Respiratory care of newborn infants
- Invasive and noninvasive mechanical ventilation
- Patent ductus arteriosus
- Postnatal diagnosis of de novo complex der(8) in a boy with prenatal diagnosis of recombinant chromosome 8 syndrome. Oren MS, Camacho JE, Xie H, Lowe J, Cushing T, Clericuzio C, Maxwell JR, Clinical case reports 2019 May 7 5 898-902
- The impact of the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative on neonatal hypoglycemia. Oren MS, Barkhuff WD, Stefanescu A, Stefanescu BM, DuPont TL, Journal of perinatology : official journal of the California Perinatal Association 2020 12 40 12 1828-1833
- Neonatal oxygen saturations and blood pressure at school-age in children born extremely preterm: a cohort study. Oren MS, Ianus V, Vohr BR, Hintz SR, Do BT, Das A, Shankaran S, Higgins RD, Watterberg KL, Journal of perinatology : official journal of the California Perinatal Association 2020 Feb
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Medical Association
- Brazilian Society of Pediatrics
- Society for Pediatric Research
Awards and Honors
- Clinician’s Clinician Award 2021, Tufts Children’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts
- Best Resident Research Award 2021, Tufts Children’s Hospital Pediatric Research Day 2021
- Travel Award 2018, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting in Toronto, Canada
- Travel Award 2018, American Academy of Pediatrics District VIII on Neonatal Perinatal Medicine in Seattle, Washington