Maria Veling, M.D., is a pediatric otolaryngologist at Children’s Health℠ and a professor of otolaryngology - head and neck surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
After completing medical school and surgical training at the University of Louisville in Kentucky, Dr. Veling developed an interest in patients with allergies, leading her to become a fellow a fellowship with the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy (AAOA).
Dr. Veling has treated allergy patients for more than 18 years. Her research interests involve the interaction of allergies with common otolaryngic pediatric disorders including sinusitis, sleep disordered breathing (SDB), and chronic otitis media and sinusitis. Currently, Dr. Veling offers complete inhalant allergy evaluation and management options, including subcutaneous and sublingual immunotherapy.
Dr. Veling is the immediate past president of the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy. She holds the Beth and Marvin C. "Cub" Culbertson Professorship in Pediatric Otolaryngology.
Dr. Veling is a member of several professional societies including American Academy of Otolaryngic Allerg, American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery and The Society of University Otolaryngologist - Head and Neck Surgeons.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Louisville School of Medicine (1993)
- University of Louisville School of Medicine (1994), General Surgery
- University of Louisville School of Medicine (1998), Otolaryngology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Otolaryngology
- Pediatric Allergies
- Sleep Disordered Breathing
- The role of allergy in pediatric rhinosinusitis., Veling MC Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2013 Jun 21 3 271-6
- Food Allergy: State of the Science--Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Committee., Reisacher W, Damask C, Calhoun K, Veling M Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2011 Nov 145 5 713-6
- Food allergy in adults and children., Mahoney EJ, Veling MC, Mims JW Otolaryngol. Clin. North Am. 2011 Jun 44 3 815-33, xii
- Inhalant allergies in children., Mims JW, Veling MC Otolaryngol. Clin. North Am. 2011 Jun 44 3 797-814, xi
- A toddler with stridor., Lachman DC, Boyd JT, Veling MC, Hayes D Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2009 Oct 48 8 878-81
- Neurotrophins and tonsillar hypertrophy in children with obstructive sleep apnea., Goldbart AD, Mager E, Veling MC, Goldman JL, Kheirandish-Gozal L, Serpero LD, Piedimonte G, Gozal D Pediatr. Res. 2007 Oct 62 4 489-94
- Executive summary: asthma and the unified airway., Krouse JH, Veling MC, Ryan MW, Pillsbury HC, Krouse HJ, Joe S, Heller AJ, Han JK, Fineman SM, Brown RW Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007 May 136 5 699-706
- Leukotriene modifier therapy for mild sleep-disordered breathing in children., Goldbart AD, Goldman JL, Veling MC, Gozal D Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2005 Aug 172 3 364-70
- Glucocorticoid receptor subunit expression in adenotonsillar tissue of children with obstructive sleep apnea., Goldbart AD, Veling MC, Goldman JL, Li RC, Brittian KR, Gozal D Pediatr. Res. 2005 Feb 57 2 232-6
- The treatment of allergic rhinitis with immunotherapy: a review of 1,000 cases., Veling MC, Trevino RJ Ear Nose Throat J 2001 Aug 80 8 542-3
- The Society of University Otolaryngologists-Head and Neck Surgeons (2012)
- InterAmerican Association of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology (2011)
- American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy (1997)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery (1994)
Awards and Honors
- Presidential Award Recognition of Leadership & Innovation in Our Specialty 2019, American Academy of Otolaryngologic Allergy
- Best Doctors in America 2007-2019
- Presidential Award Recognition of Leadership & Innovation in Our Specialty 2017, American Academy of Otolaryngologic Allergy
- Model Committee Award for Distinguished Service on Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology Committee 2015, American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Golden Apple Award 2009, American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy
- Honor Award 2009, American Academy of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery