David T. Schindel, M.D., is a pediatric general and thoracic surgeon at Children’s Health℠. He is an associate professor of Surgery at UT Southwestern. Dr. Schindel specializes in minimally invasive surgery with a special focus in the surgical management of inflammatory bowel disease and the diagnosis and management of surgical conditions affecting the fetus and newborn.
Dr. Schindel completed his general surgery residency at the Indiana University Health and a pediatric surgery fellowship at the St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children.
Dr. Schindel routinely publishes clinical articles and is actively involved in studies to improve the care and management of pediatric inflammatory bowel disease and familial adenomatosis polyposis. He has been instrumental in establishing minimally invasive surgery practices at the hospital.
He participates in several national committees representing the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Pediatric Surgical Association. Dr. Schindel has been named a Top Doctor by D Magazine multiple years.
Residents of Plano, Dr. Schindel and his wife are proud of their three adult children, who have become health care professionals. Dr. Schindel enjoys being outside in his garage “tinkering” with various projects.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (1992)
- Indiana University Medical Center (1998), General Surgery
- Tenet Healthcare Corporation, Headquarters Office (2000), Pediatric Surgery
- Board Certification
- American Board of Surgery/Pediatric Surgery
Departments and Programs
- Congenital Surgery of the Newborn
- Pediatric Colorectal Surgery
- Fetal Diagnosis and Intervention
- Pediatric Trauma
- Pediatric Neuromuscular Disorders
- American Pediatric Surgical Association Prenatal Counseling Series: Fetal Neck Masses in Marwan AI (Ed.) Prenatal Counseling Series Not a Textbook. Unbound Medicine. Schindel DT, Jensen A (2018)
- Fetal Airway Obstruction in APSA Fetal Handbook. Schindel DT (2019)
- Fetal Masses and Neoplasms in APSA Fetal Handbook. Schindel DT (2019)
- Air Guns: A Contemporary Review of Injuries at Six Pediatric Level I Trauma Centers. Apelt N, Greenwell C, Tweed J, Notrica DM, Maxson RT, Garcia NM, Lawson K, Eubanks JW, Letton RW, Schindel D, The Journal of surgical research 2020 04 248 1-6
- Impact of Additional Anomalies on Postnatal Outcomes in Congenital Lung Malformations. Reyna JC, Zagory JA, Yallapragada S, Santiago-Munoz P, Schindel DT, The Journal of surgical research 2020 Aug 256 611-617
- Comparative outcomes of right versus left congenital diaphragmatic hernia: A multicenter analysis. Abramov A, Fan W, Hernan R, Zenilman AL, Wynn J, Aspelund G, Khlevner J, Krishnan U, Lim FY, Mychaliska GB, Warner BW, Cusick R, Crombleholme T, Chung D, Danko ME, Wagner AJ, Azarow K, Schindel D, Potoka D, Soffer S, Fisher J, McCulley D, Farkouh-Karoleski C, Chung WK, Duron V, Journal of pediatric surgery 2020 Jan 55 1 33-38
- Likely damaging de novo variants in congenital diaphragmatic hernia patients are associated with worse clinical outcomes. Qiao L, Wynn J, Yu L, Hernan R, Zhou X, Duron V, Aspelund G, Farkouh-Karoleski C, Zygumunt A, Krishnan US, Nees S, Khlevner J, Lim FY, Crombleholme T, Cusick R, Azarow K, Danko ME, Chung D, Warner BW, Mychaliska GB, Potoka D, Wagner AJ, Soffer S, Schindel D, McCulley DJ, Shen Y, Chung WK, Genetics in medicine : official journal of the American College of Medical Genetics 2020 Jul
- The in-utero diagnosis of choledochal cyst: can postnatal imaging predict benefit from early surgical intervention? Cochran ED, Lazow SP, Kim AG, Burkhalter LS, Frost NW, Stitelman D, Davis J, Santiago-Munoz P, Buchmiller TL, Perrone EE, Schindel DT, The journal of maternal-fetal & neonatal medicine : the official journal of the European Association of Perinatal Medicine, the Federation of Asia and Oceania Perinatal Societies, the International Society of Perinatal Obstetricians 2020 Mar 1-5
- Physician-Estimated Depth as a Screening Tool for Computed Tomography Evaluation of Pectus Excavatum. Jacobson J, Postma H, Mokdad A, Qureshi F, Alder A, Hicks B, Schindel D, Pandya S, The Journal of surgical research 2020 May
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Pediatric Surgical Association
- Dallas County Medical Association
- Texas Medical Association
Awards and Honors
- Nominated for the UT Southwestern Medical Center Program Development Award 2020, Inflammatory Bowel Program
- “Best Doctors in Dallas” in Pediatric Surgery 2014-2019, Recognition by Peers
- Nominated for the UT Southwestern Medical Center Patient and Family Recognition Award 2018
- Treatment Alliance (FETAL) Program 2018
- UT Southwestern Medical School 7th annual “Excellence in Education” Award 2011
- Special Recognition for Outstanding Achievement in Student Teaching 2010-2011, UT Southwestern, Department of Surgery
- Nominated for the “Innovative Medicine Award” for work on the EXIT procedure/team 2009, by Children’s Medical Center Dallas for Recognition by the Dallas Business Journal