Pediatric Back Pain
There are multiple reasons children may suffer from back pain, including muscle strain and more serious conditions.
Muscle strain can cause back pain in children, or it could be a sign of a more serious condition.
The most common conditions that cause back pain in children include:
- Infection in the disk space
- Muscle strain injury
- Scheuermann's kyphosis (rounded back)
- Spondylolysis (defect of the joint between vertebrae)
- Spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebra)
- Stress fracture of the spine
- Tumor on the spine
If your child has muscle strain, the symptom will be pain, especially with movement.
More serious conditions that can cause back pain may involve the following symptoms:
- Constant crying or complaining of pain
- Numbness in the back, arms or legs
- Pain that does not go away after several weeks of home treatment
- Pain that does not go away after taking over-the-counter pain relief
- Pain that wakes your child from sleep
- Weakness in arms or legs