Children’s Health℠ is dedicated to making life better for children afflicted with complex conditions that require optimal care – such as epilepsy. We’ve established a comprehensive center designed to meet your child’s needs and address your parental concerns.
Epilepsy is a neurological condition that affects your child’s neurons (nerve cells), causing these brain information carriers to fire unexpectedly, which can lead to seizures.
This disorder also can affect your entire family. That’s why we’ve invested so much time, effort and resources toward epilepsy treatment and management. Our comprehensive Epilepsy Center offers the largest regional pediatric epilepsy program. We embrace a multidisciplinary approach, with specialists collaborating on a full range of epilepsy care needs.
The Center provides the most advanced procedures, including focal resection, hemispherotomy, laser surgical procedures, and vagal nerve stimulation, among many others.
No matter the treatment regimen, our care team will be with you and your child at every step – offering surgical evaluations and advanced procedures, as well as education about management elements such as diet therapy and medications.
Pediatric epilepsy specialists are supported by registered technologists and nurses trained to work with a variety of pediatric patients.
Give to the Epilepsy Center
The Epilepsy Center at Children’s improves the quality of life for children and families dealing with epilepsy care needs. Ranked among the top pediatric hospitals in the country, Children’s relies on your generosity to continue to provide world-class care to each child who needs us. Your gift helps us fulfill our mission—to make life better for children. Please make your gift now.
To designate your gift for the Epilepsy Center, choose "Designation: Other" and indicate "the Epilepsy Center".
Why Children's Health℠?
Located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, Children’s Health is the nation’s seventh-largest pediatric health care provider. For more than 100 years, Children’s Health has been dedicated to making life better for children afflicted with complex conditions that require optimal care.
Our Epilepsy Center is comprehensive and cohesive. Recognitions validate our treatment approach and reflect our dedication to excellent health care and service.
U.S. News & World Report, in its 2014-2015 “Best Children’s Hospitals” survey, named us as one of the top U.S. pediatric hospitals. We scored high or superior in categories that include:
- Management of epilepsy patients
- Epilepsy workup and care volume
- Commitment to best practices
- Taking steps to engage family members
- Subspecialist availability
Also, the National Association of Epilepsy Centers designated us as a Level 4 Epilepsy Center, indicating that we provide the highest level of treatment for the most complex cases of pediatric epilepsy.
Further, we provide the resources related to education and outreach. Our programs support you and your family.
Conditions We Treat
- First unprovoked seizure
- Partial epilepsy and generalized epilepsy
- Cortical dysplasia
- Neuronal migration defects
- Lennox-Gastaut syndrome
- Doose syndrome
- Landau-Kleffner syndrome
- Tuberous sclerosis
- Sturge-Weber syndrome
- Dravet syndrome
- Rett syndrome
- Angelman syndrome
- Rasmussen’s syndrome
Epilepsy Center Highlights
Within our Epilepsy Center, you’ll find a team that includes a specialty surgeon, specialist doctors, a neuropsychologist, advanced practice providers, nurses, a dietitian, a neurology practice administrator, program manager, referral coordinator, and social worker. With their empathetic approach, these team members will support you, your child and all other family members.
Statistics underscore our commitment:
- The Center sees more than 7,000 outpatient epilepsy specialty visits each year
- Our accredited neurophysiology lab performs more than 3,000 electroencephalograms (EEGs) each year
- We admit more than 600 patients each year for video-EEG monitoring in the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (EMU)
- Disease-specific certification. Children's Health Epilepsy Center was the first Pediatric Epilepsy Program in the country to be certified through The Joint Commission. The Joint Commission is the nation's predominant standard-setting accrediting and certifying regulatory body in healthcare.
- Children's Health Neurology & Neurosurgery specialty named one of the top. Children's Health Neurology & Neurosurgery specialty was listed in the annual U.S. News & World Report rankings of pediatric specialties.
- Level 4 Epilepsy Center. Designated as a Level 4 Epilepsy Center by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC), Children’s Medical Center Dallas provides the highest level of treatment for complex Epilepsy patients.
What We Offer
Our program—and its specialists and supportive staff—provide a full range of epilepsy care needs including:
- Care and education after a first seizure
- Second opinions for complicated epilepsy
- Epilepsy surgical evaluations
- Full range of epilepsy surgery options
- Ketogenic diet therapy
- Vagal nerve stimulation
- Access to latest treatments and experimental trials
- Treatment with antiepileptic medications (current and investigational)