Epilepsy Monitoring Unit
The Epilepsy Monitoring Unit is an eight-bed dedicated wing staffed by nurses, registered EEG technologists, child life specialists and physicians on the medical staff with expertise in epilepsy and other neurological conditions. Advanced technology allows patients to leave their room and play in a staffed play room for younger children and a multipurpose room for older adolescent patients while continuing to be monitored. The unit also has the ability to monitor patients throughout the entire hospital. All eight beds have a Wii console for patient and family entertainment. Full size beds are also provided for the comfort of the family.
- Rule out seizures
- Characterization of questionable spells
- Evaluation of neurological status
- Routine long-term video EEG monitoring
- Epilepsy surgery evaluations
- Initiation of ketogenic diet program
Evaluation of a spectrum of disorders that affect the central and peripheral nervous systems:
- Seizure disorders and medication effects
- Intractable seizures
- Seizure surgery candidates
- Our experienced registered technologists, nurses and pediatric epilepsy specialists are trained to work with a wide variety of pediatric neurological patients.
- Our eight-bed unit is specially designed so that patients can be monitored from remote locations, including both a large playroom, multipurpose room for adolescents, pediatric intensive care unit and any other patient hospital room.