Contact the Heart Center
Even under the best circumstances, knowing your child needs to be put to sleep for a procedure is frightening. When your child also has a complex or advanced heart condition, the fear is unimaginable.
With our dedicated team of cardiac anesthesiology experts, you can have peace of mind. Our most important job is delivering care that helps your child stay comfortable while also tending to their unique needs.
Why Children’s Health℠?
For over 20 years, the cardiac anesthesiology program at Children’s Health℠ has looked after the needs of our sickest patients. We safely deliver anesthesia and sedation care to over 1,000 children every year. There is no condition our team can’t handle, no matter how rare or complex.
Conditions We Treat
Working with surgeons and other heart care specialists, we give medications to put your child to sleep so they do not feel any pain or discomfort during:
- Team approach: Working as a team with surgeons and other heart specialists, we meet every week to go over the details of each upcoming procedure.
- Expert team: Our team includes four board certified pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists, each with 10 or more years of experience.
- Dedicated nurse anesthetist: We are one of the few hospitals in the country with a dedicated Certified Anesthesiologist Assistant and Certified Physician Assistant who help coordinate and prepare the team for the unique needs of each patient.
- Patient-centered care: We have a deep understanding of your child’s condition and put plans in place to accommodate their needs even before their procedure is scheduled. We meet with you before your child’s procedure to answer any questions you may have.
- 24/7 anesthesia: Cardiac anesthesiologists are available around the clock to provide additional care if needed.
We give medications and perform intensive monitoring during and immediately after your child’s procedure to keep them safe from reactions and complications.
In addition to keeping your child comfortable during their procedure, we also keep a careful watch over their vital signs, including:
- Blood pressure
- Heart rate and rhythm
- Oxygen levels in your child’s brain and the rest of their body