Nexplanon (Birth Control)
Nexplanon is a birth control implant inserted under the skin. A plastic rod, about the size of a matchstick, releases a form of the hormone progesterone (called etonogestrel) that prevents pregnancy. It is effective for up to three (3) years.
Why should my daughter consider Nexplanon?
If your daughter is considering contraceptive methods, her doctor may recommend Nexplanon because:
- Your daughter won’t have to remember to take it, like she would with a birth control pill
- Fertility returns right after it’s removed
- It can help reduce painful and long periods
- Does not prevent STIs
What to expect
If your daughter chooses Nexplanon, her doctor will:
- Numb the inside of her upper arm
- Place the implant just under the skin
- Feel to ensure that the implant has been placed correctly
- Apply a pressure bandage to be worn for 24 hours
- Suggest wearing a small bandage for 3 to 5 days
- The actual insertion time is less than one minute
Your daughter may experience side effects from the insertion procedure, including:
- Bruising, redness, or swelling
Side effects of Nexplanon can include:
Your daughter should not use Nexplanon if:
- She has an allergy or sensitivity to any part of the implant
- She experiences unexplained vaginal bleeding
- She has or had breast cancer
- She has or had liver disease or tumors
- She has a history of blood clots
Should my daughter consider Nexplanon?
Your daughter’s doctor may recommend Nexplanon because it’s effective for up to 3 years; she won’t have to remember to take it; and it can help reduce painful and long periods.
Is the procedure painful?
The doctor will numb your daughter’s skin before insertion, but she may experience some pain, swelling, bruising, or redness.
What are the possible side effects?
Side effects of Nexplanon may include irregular periods, mood changes, weight gain, abdominal pain or nausea, acne, breast pain, back pain, headaches, vaginitis, or dizziness.
How long does it take to place Nexplanon?
The actual insertion time is less than one minute.