Kangaroo Care is something special only you can do to help your baby. Kangaroo Care is holding your baby against your bare chest under your clothes. The baby will be wearing only a diaper. Your baby will be put on your chest with your baby’s head near your heart. The nurse or doctor will help place the baby on your chest. You can use a warm blanket or your clothing to cover both you and the baby. Kangaroo Care is safe and beneficial, even if your baby is connected to machines.
Whatever your situation, this is a precious way to be close to your baby. You may be a little nervous about trying Kangaroo Care. If your baby is very small or sick, you may be afraid you’ll hurt him. But you won’t. Your baby knows your scent, touch and the rhythms of your speech and breathing. He will enjoy feeling that closeness with you.
Kangaroo care benefits
- Maintain his body warmth
- Regulate his heart and breathing rates
- Gain weight
- Spend more time in deep sleep
- Spend more time being quiet and alert and less time crying
- Have a better chance of successful breastfeeding (Kangaroo Care can improve the mother’s breast milk production)
- It can build your confidence as you provide intimate care that can improve your baby’s health and well-being.
- You are giving something special to your baby that only you can give.
- This skin-to-skin interaction will help your breastmilk production.
- By holding your baby skin-to-skin, you may feel the experience of new parenthood and closeness to your baby.