Blazing new trails in medicine means collaborating with an elite class of physicians while making new discoveries about the makeup of the human body.
Children’s Health℠ is home to groundbreaking science and clinical research done in collaboration with UT Southwestern. At any given time, the expansive team of investigators engages in numerous studies that range from basic laboratory research to comprehensive multicenter clinical trials in pursuit of new medical therapies. Conducting research keeps Children’s Health on the cutting edge of medicine and allows our physicians to bring promising new therapies to patients sooner.
Why Children's Health℠?
- Conducting research keeps clinical personnel at Children's Health on the cutting edge of medicine and allows physicians on the medical staff to bring promising new therapies to patients before general availability.
- All research conducted at Children's Health is reviewed by the Institutional Review Board of UT Southwestern, so the rights of patients are protected.
- Children's Health has hundreds of studies under way in clinical areas throughout the hospital.
Areas of Excellence
U.S. News & World Report named Children's Health as one of the nation's top pediatric providers. As a leading pediatric hospital, the opportunity for ongoing translational medical research is fertile. Some of the areas of excellence include the renowned Pauline Allen Gill Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders and The Caruth Center for Pediatric Translational Clinical Research, which is the first of its kind in the nation with a concentration on diseases specific to children, including congenital abnormalities, cancers that mainly affect children and certain pediatric viral infections.
Supporting research designed to improve the understanding, prevention, diagnosis or treatment of childhood diseases is a key component of Children's Health mission. The Clinical Research Department (CRD) provides support services for all research conducted at Children's Health. Specific areas of service include:
- Funding - The CRD supports the activities of the Children's Health Clinical Research Advisory Committee, which does peer review and selection of investigators meritorious research projects for funding by the Children's Health Foundation. Applications for funding are accepted and reviewed semiannually.
- Study Development and Operation - CRD personnel are available to assist researchers with all aspects of developing a new clinical research study. This can include research design, protocol development, budget development and study planning. The CRD is staffed by experienced study coordinators who can assist with the development and management of a clinical trial. Investigators are required to provide funding for these services.
- Administration of Research - The CRD is charged with managing all research conducted at Children's Health, and for ensuring compliance with all federal and state regulations, as well as hospital policies.
- Deborah Town, RN MSN CCRC CHRC - Sr. Director, Research Administration and Professional Services Operations
- Victoria Brown, PhD CCRP CIP – Director, Research Administration
- Shirley Montanye, RN ADN CCRC - Clinical Manager
- David McGhee, MBA – Business Service Manager
- Rong Huang, MS - Biostatistician
- William Jones, MS CCRP - Clinical Research Educator
- Alisia Berry - Coordinator, Research Administration
- Andrew Hebert, MA RRT CCRC – Team Leader
- Kara Lorduy, PhD – Team Leader
- Paulette Chukkala, RRT – Team Leader