May 11, 2015
Homestyle Garden Vegetable Soup Home vegetable gardening is a terrific way to get your family interested in eating vegetables by enjoying the fruits of your own labor. This companion piece to Start growing healthy food for the family, is a vegetable soup recipe that uses your harvested vegetables.
You've grown the vegetables, now harvest them for this delicious soup recipe from the Clinical Nutrition department at Children's Medical Center.
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 8-ounce cans of diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen carrots
- 1 pound of cubed potatoes
- 1 cup diced cauliflower
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
- 1 cup fresh, frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot, stir in broth, water and crushed tomatoes (do not drain). Simmer over medium heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Have you tried this recipe? Leave us a comment to tell us what you think.