For a little patient in a waiting room, boredom can set in quickly. Assemble a “Busy Book” to entertain them as they wait. Due to patient confidentiality and infection control, donated items are distributed by Children's Health staff. Unfortunately, individuals and groups are not allowed to distribute donated items to patients. Due to infection control all items must be new and unused. Please store completed busy books in an unscented plastic bag to keep them clean until delivery or a box the size of a file box.
- Coloring/Activity Pages: One of the easiest ways to make these books is by purchasing coloring/activities books, tearing out 4-5 pages and putting them into a packet. You can also print coloring/activity pages from child friendly websites such as http://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pages/. If you print your own books, half of letter size (4.25 by 5.5 inches) is the preferred size.
- Yarn or Staples: Please use only one staple in the left corner or a string of yarn to bind the book together.
- Tape: Use tape to secure the crayons to the books.
- Crayons: Attach at least 3 different colored crayons to the busy book.
Busy Book Guidelines
The following guidelines have been created to help you with your project:
- Make Your Busy Book Generic: Making a book that is suitable for either a boy or a girl helps us speed the delivery of busy books
- Avoid Specific Spiritual or Holiday References: We serve a very diverse patient population. As a result, our patients celebrate several different holidays during the month of December. Many do not celebrate Easter. And some may not be familiar with holidays that are more familiar to citizens of the U.S.
- Decorate with Crayons, Markers, or Watercolors: Patients enjoy receiving colorful busy books. However, to avoid choking hazards for our little ones, please do not use glue to add any items to busy books - this includes glitter, feathers, and other seemingly non-hazardous items.
- Neutral Messages are Best: We ask that you use neutral messages. Appropriate Messages: Thinking of you, Just want to say Hi! , Sending you sunny smiles, Hope to brighten your day.
To donate items or for more information please contact:
Volunteer Services Dallas — 214-456-6388 or email@example.com, please specify which campus you would like to donate to.
Volunteer Services Plano — 469-303-3763 or firstname.lastname@example.org, please specify which campus you would like to donate to.
To Deliver Items to the Dallas Campus:
To schedule a delivery to the Dallas campus, please email email@example.com and include your contact information, the campus you wish to donate to—Dallas or Plano, the item you are donating, date and time you would like to deliver your donation. The best times to deliver are Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 4 PM. If you need to schedule a time outside of these hours, please let us know. Prior to delivering items, please complete a donation form.
To Deliver Items to the Plano Campus:
Items may be delivered to the Plano Campus, Main Concierge Desk 8AM to 8PM Sunday-Saturday. Please complete a Donation Form to be delivered along with your donation, noting hours spent in making handmade items.