As one of the largest pediatric healthcare providers in the nation, Children's Health℠ is the only facility in North Texas dedicated exclusively to comprehensive and specialized care for children. It is the primary pediatric teaching facility for UT Southwestern Medical Center, with a medical research staff that is instrumental in developing new treatments and therapies for pediatric diseases.
Children's Health had the first Level I trauma center in Texas, and it performs the largest number of pediatric surgical procedures of any healthcare facility in North Texas.
With the mission to improve the lives of children, anesthesiologists at Children's Health offer their top quality care at three locations:
- Children's Medical Center Dallas
- Specialty Center Dallas Campus
- Children's Medical Center Plano
Why Children's Health℠?
In 2007, Children's Health℠ performed more than 20,000 surgeries with the anesthesiology department providing general anesthesia (GA) and operating room (OR) sedation to surgical patients. It also dispenses pain management tools, including medication, to patients following surgery. In addition to these procedures, anesthesiologists provide care during other painful interventions and those that require a patient to remain motionless for a significant period of time.
Along with expanding educational programs and clinical services, the Children's anesthesiology department is actively involved in conducting pediatric clinical research trials to expand knowledge of new drugs and techniques. Children's Health℠ is one of only 14 national pediatric research centers approved by the National Institutes of Health, and provides a host of support services to ensure comfortable and safe pediatric treatment.
Adjunct Support Services
- Child life specialists — staff professionals who provide developmentally appropriate information to assist children and parents in understanding and coping with the hospital environment
- Social workers
- Translation services, including the MARTTI system — My Accessible Real-Time Trusted Interpreter — a live, two-way digital video/audio system for parents who speak a language other than English, enabling them to communicate with hospital staff via a remote interpreter.
- Guest Services
Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesiology
The Heart Center’s team of pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists facilitates the intraoperative care of patients with congenital heart disease, providing an instrumental process for children undergoing a host of cardiac, non-cardiac and surgical or diagnostic procedures. These physicians from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center have undergone specialized training to manage the pain associated with pediatric cardiac surgery.