1970: Children’s Medical Center a ‘Modern Wonder’
To meet the needs of an increasingly complex patient population, Children’s transformed itself during the 1970s from a community hospital to an academic medical center focused on excellence across a spectrum of pediatric health care specialties and professional disciplines. In collaboration with UT Southwestern, the medical center expanded its physician training program, increasing the number of residents and specialty rotations.
Discoveries at Children’s and UT Southwestern in the 1970s led to changes in the treatment of children with infectious diseases. Dr. John D. Nelson had started a pediatric infectious disease program in 1959 at the Bradford Hospital, one of only four in the nation at the time. Today, this program is recognized for establishing a worldwide standard of care for these children.
In the 1970s, more than 10% of premature infants died before their first birthday. Many were hospitalized during their first year. In 1979, Children’s started the Low Birth Weight Clinic to provide comprehensive care for very small infants and those born with chronic conditions.
Top: This laboratory was considered state of the art when it opened in 1970.
Bottom: Dr. Ted Votteler, Chief of Surgery confers with Nurse Audrey Bell.