Departments and Programs
- Characterization of the natural history and improvement of the treatment of children and adolescents with non-malignant hematologic diseases such as aplastic anemia, myelodysplastic syndromes, and histiocytosis
- Development of optimum management approaches to major clinical events in children with sickle cell disease (febrile illness, chest syndrome, painful crisis, avascular necrosis, stroke)
- Use of hydroxyurea, stem cell transplantation and other therapies, particularly in young children, to prevent the morbidity of sickle cell anemia
- Hydroxycarbamide versus chronic transfusion for maintenance of transcranial doppler flow velocities in children with sickle cell anaemia-TCD With Transfusions Changing to Hydroxyurea (TWiTCH): a multicenter, open-label, phase 3, non-inferiority trial. Ware RE, Schultz WH, Brown RC, Aygun B, Sarnaik S, Odame I, Fuh B, George A, Owen W, Luchtman-Jones L, Rogers ZR, Hilliard L, Gauger C, Piccone C, Lee MT, Kwiatowski JL, Jackson S, Miller ST, Roberts C, Heeney MM, Kalfa TA, Nelson S, Imran H, Nottage K, Alvarez O, Rhodes M, Thompson AA, Rothman JA, Helton KJ, Roberts D, Coleman J, Bonner MJ, Kutlar A, Patel N, Wood J, Piller L, Wei P, Luden J, Mortier BA, Stuber SE, Luban NC, Cohen AR, Pressel S, Adams RJ. Lancet Dec 6, 2015.
- Therapeutic phlebotomy is safe in children with sickle cell anaemia and can be effective treatment for transfusional iron overload. Aygun B, Mortier NA, Kesler K, Lockhart A, Schultz WH, Cohen AR, Alvarez O, Rogers ZR, Kwiatkowski JL, Miller ST, Sylvestre P, Iyer R, Lane PA, Ware RE; Stroke With Transfusions Changing to Hydroxyurea (SWiTCH) Trial Investigators. Br J Haematol 2015
- Liver iron concentration measurements by MRI in chronically transfused children with sickle cell anemia: baseline results from the TWiTCH trial. Wood JC, Pressel S, Rogers ZR, Odame I, Kwiatkowski JL, Lee MT, Owen WC, Cohen AR, St Pierre T, Heeney MM, Schultz WH, Davis BR, Ware RE; TWiTCH Investigators. Am J Hematol 2015;90(9):806-10.
- Guidelines for the Standard Monitoring of Patients With Thalassemia: Report of the Thalassemia Longitudinal Cohort. Tubman VN, Fung EB, Vogiatzi M, Thompson AA, Rogers ZR, Neufeld EJ, Kwiatkowski JL; Thalassemia Clinical Research Network. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2015; 37(3):e162-9
- Pharmacokinetics and bioequivalence of a liquid formulation of hydroxyurea in children with sickle cell anemia. Estepp JH, Melloni C, Thornburg CD, Wiczling P, Rogers Z, Rothman JA, Green NS, Liem R, Brandow AM, Crary SE, Howard TH, Morris MH, Lewandowski A, Garg U, Jusko WJ, Neville KA; Best Pharmaceuticals for Children Act - Pediatric Trials Network Administrative Core Committee. J Clin Pharmacol. 2015 Jul 22.
- Hydroxyurea and growth in young children with sickle cell disease. Rana S, Houston PE, Wang WC, Iyer RV, Goldsmith J, Casella JF, Reed CK, Rogers ZR, Waclawiw MA, Thompson B for the BABY HUG Investigators. Pediatrics 2014; 134(3):465-472.
- A two year pilot trial of hydroxyurea in very young children with sickle cell anemia, Wang WC, Wynn LW, Rogers ZR, Scott JP, Lane PA and Ware RE J Pediatr 2001 139 790-796
- Outpatient penile aspiration and epinephrine irrigation for young patients with sickle cell anemia and prolonged priapism, Mantadakis E, Cavender JD, Rogers ZR, Ewalt DH and Buchanan GR Blood 2000 95 78-82
- Functional asplenia in hemoglobin SC disease, Lane PA, O'Connell JL, Lear JM, Rogers ZR, Woods GM, Hassell KL, Wethers DL, Luckey DW and Buchanan GR Blood 1995 85 2238-2244
- Outpatient management of febrile illness in infants and young children with sickle cell anemia, Rogers ZR, Morrison RA, Vedro DA, and Buchanan GR J Pediatr 1990 117 736-739
- Priapism in sickle cell disease, Rogers ZR Hematol Oncol Clin N Am 2005 19 917-928
- Longterm hydroxyurea therapy for infants with sickle cell anemia - the HUSOFT extension study, Hankins JS, Ware RE, Rogers ZR, Wynn LW, Lane PA, Scott JP, Wanc WC Blood 2005 106 2269-2275
- Minor elective surgical procedures using general anesthesia in children with sickle cell anemia without pre-operative blood transfusion, Fu T, Corrigan NJ, Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, and Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2005 45 43-47
- Survival of children with sickle cell disease, Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR Blood 2004 103(11) 4023-4027
- Acquired Glanzmann’s Thrombasthenia as part of multiple-autoantibody syndrome in a pediatric heart transplant patient, Rawal A, Sarode R, Curtis BR, Karandikar NJ, Friedman K, Rogers ZR J Pediatr 2004 144 (5) 672-674
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Society of Hematology
- Society for Pediatric Research
Awards and Honors
- American Cancer Society - Texas Division Oncology, Research Fellowship (1989)
- American Cancer Society - Clinical Oncology Fellowship (1988)
- Phi Beta Kappa - Alpha of California (1978)
2 - UTSW Specialist
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
American Board of Pediatrics/Hematology-Oncology