Growing up in Spain and Mexico, Ximena Lopez, M.D., spent a great deal of her time hospitalized for severe asthma. That experience informs her daily work as a physician.
“I was impressed by the physicians who took care of me, and I have wanted to be one ever since,” she says.
I was impressed by the physicians who took care of me, and I have wanted to be one ever since.
Dr. Lopez focused her studies on the endocrine system, the collection of glands and organs that produce and regulate hormones in the bloodstream to control many functions of the body, including metabolism, growth and sexual development.
Dr. Lopez earned her medical degree from Universidad La Salle in Mexico. She completed her pediatric residency at the University of Illinois at Chicago in 2005; her pediatric endocrinology fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School; and her clinical research fellowship at Joslin Medical Center and Harvard Medical School in 2008.
She is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and its Board on Pediatric Endocrinology, and is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Pediatric Endocrine Society.
She is also an associate professor of pediatrics in the Pediatric Endocrinology Division at UT Southwestern.
Outside of her practice, Dr. Lopez enjoys family activities outdoors with her son, husband and dog. She likes to go hiking and looks forward to opportunities to travel and explore new places.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Universidad La Salle (2000)
- University of Illinois at Chicago College of Med (2005), Pediatrics
- Massachusetts General Hospital (2008), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics/Endocrinology
- 22q Deletion Syndrome (DiGeorge Syndrome VCFS)
- Acromegaly (Gigantism)
- Addison's Disease
- Adrenal Carcinomas
- Adrenal Disorders
- Adrenal Masses
- Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer
- Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS)
- Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH)
- Constitutional Growth Delay
- Cushing's Syndrome
- Delayed Puberty
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA)
- Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP)
- Follicular Thyroid Cancer
- Graves' Disease
- Growth Hormone Deficiency
- Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar)
- Klinefelter Syndrome
- Li-Fraumeni Syndrome (LFS)
- Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension)
- Mature Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY)
- Medullary Thyroid Cancer
- Multinodular Goiter
- Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia (MEN)
- Papillary Thyroid Cancer
- Parathyroid Masses
- Pediatric McCune-Albright Syndrome
- Pituitary Lesions
- Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Precocious Puberty (Early Puberty)
- Short Stature
- Thyroid Carcinoma (Cancer)
- Thyroid Disorders
- Thyroid Nodules
- Thyroiditis (Hashimoto's Disease)
- Turner Syndrome
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Gender dysphoria in children and adolescents
- Neurobiology of transgender children and adolescents
- Metabolic effects of endocrine therapy in adolescents with gender dysphoria
- Obesity in childhood
- Type 2 diabetes in pediatrics
- Impact of GLP-1 and GLP-1 Receptor Agonists on Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Type 2 diabetes, Verge D, Lopez X Curr Diabetes Rev April 2010
- Insulin Enhances Glucose-Stimulated Insulin Secretion in Healthy Humans, Bouche C*, Lopez X*, Fleischman A, Cypess AM, O?Shea S, Stefanoviski D, Bergman RN, Rogatsky E, Stein DT, Kulkarni RN, Kahn CR, Goldfine AB Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A March 2010 107(10) 4770-5
- Family History of Diabetes Impacts on Interactions between Minimal Model Estimates of Insulin Sensitivity and Glucose Effectiveness, Lopez X, Bouche C, Tatro E, Goldfine AB Diabetes Obes Metab February 2009 11(2) 123-30
- Human Insulin Analog Induced Lipoatrophy, Lopez, X, Castells M, Velazquez EF, Ricker A, Lin D, Mun E, Goldfine AB Diabetes Care March 2008 31(3) 442-4
- Hypoglycemia in Children (chapter), American Academy of Pediatrics Nutrition Handbook 6th ed Lopez X, Levitsky LL 2007
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Endocrinology Executive Committee Member (2016-2019)
- Pediatric Endocrine Society, Co-chair of the Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth SIG (2015)
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) (2014)
- Diabetes National Medical Advisor, Novo Nordisk, Spain (2008-2010)
Awards and Honors
- D Magazine Best Pediatric Specialist 2020
- Best grades of graduating class from Medical School 2000, Universidad La Salle Medical School, Mexico City
- Graduation from Medical School with Honors 2000, Universidad La Salle Medical School, Mexico City
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.