Dr. Steven Verity earned his Bachelor of Science degree at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles and began his career in ophthalmology research at the Doheny Eye Institute in Los Angeles as part of a federally funded National Institutes of Health grant in refractive corneal surgery. After developing techniques in corneal preservation, he joined the research team at the Louisiana State University (LSU) Eye Center in New Orleans, where he continued to work in the research labs while studying at the LSU School of Medicine. Dr. Verity applied tissue preservation techniques to a developing refractive corneal surgery procedure known as "epikeratophakia."
After medical school, he completed an internship and residency program in ophthalmology at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. During that time, he expanded his research focus to include aspects of corneal healing and repair. Dr. Verity completed his fellowship in cornea/external disease and refractive surgery at the Saint Louis University Eye Institute. After completion of the fellowship, and he remained a full-time faculty of the Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology as an assistant professor.
Dr. Verity is currently a professor of ophthalmology at UT Southwestern and a member of the Cornea/External Disease and Refractive Surgery Service. His areas of interests include refractive surgery, corneal tissue preservation and transplantation.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Tulane University School of Medicine (1989)
- Parkland Memorial Hospital (1993), Ophthalmology
- St. Louis University Hospital (1995), Cornea
- Board Certification
- American Board of Ophthalmology
Departments and Programs
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Castroviejo Cornea Society
Awards and Honors
- D Magazine Best Doctors in Dallas (2013)
- Luis Perez Memorial Award in Ophthalmology - LSU Medical School - New Orleans, LA (1989)