Scott O. Burkhart, Psy.D., is a neuropsychologist at Children’s Health℠ Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine who specializes in concussion treatment and management.
Dr. Burkhart earned his doctoral degree at George Fox University in Oregon. He then completed specialized fellowship training in concussion management at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. He is one of the few neuropsychologists in Texas with advanced training in sports concussions in pediatric patients.
When concussions are treated appropriately, athletes should be on a course for a strong recovery. I enjoy helping kids return to sports safely and get back to what they love doing.
“Having been a former college athlete, I can understand what athletes are after and what their goals are,” says Dr. Burkhart. “When concussions are treated appropriately, athletes should be on a course for a strong recovery. I enjoy helping kids return to sports safely and get back to what they love doing.”
Dr. Burkhart continually researches ways to improve concussion recovery and outcomes. He is currently working on projects to determine what tools work best in sideline evaluations of concussions and how test scores and performances can help identify which athletes need longer recoveries. He is also studying how much exercise concussion patients can participate in during recovery and what treatments help speed up concussion recovery time.
In his free time, Dr. Burkhart enjoys spending time with his wife and three children. He and his family love being outdoors, fishing and playing sports.
Education and Training
- Tewksbury Hospital (2011), Post Doctoral
- UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program (2013), Post Doctoral
- Graduate School
- George Fox University (2011)
Departments and Programs
- A Physiologically Based Approach to Prescribing Exercise Following a Sport-Related Concussion. Worts PR, Burkhart SO, Kim JS. Sports Med. 2019 May;49(5):683-706. doi: 10.1007/s40279-019-01065-1.
- Test Performance and Test-Retest Reliability of the Vestibular/Ocular Motor Screening and King-Devick Test in Adolescent Athletes During a Competitive Sport Season. Worts PR, Schatz P, Burkhart SO. Am J Sports Med. 2018 Jul;46(8):2004-2010. doi: 10.1177/0363546518768750. Epub 2018 May 9.
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.