Preston Howard Blomquist, MD $$
Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Languages Spoken:
Preston Blomquist, M.D., is an ophthalmologist at Children’s Health℠ who treats a wide range of ocular diseases. For Dr. Blomquist, improving patients’ quality of life provides tremendous job satisfaction.
Dr. Blomquist graduated from medical school at UT Southwestern and completed his residency training in ophthalmology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, where he also served as Chief Resident.
Dr. Blomquist is board certified in ophthalmology by the American Board of Ophthalmology. In addition to his clinical duties at UT Southwestern, he serves as the Program Director for the Ophthalmology Residency Training Program at UT Southwestern and Chief of the Ophthalmology Service at Parkland Health & Hospital System.
He is a nationally respected educator in ophthalmology, and he has served as Vice Chair for the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Review Committee for Ophthalmology. Dr. Blomquist is a member of the University of Texas Southwestern Academy of Teachers and received the University of Texas System Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award in 2012.
Dr. Blomquist is active in a number of professional organizations. A past president of the Dallas Academy of Ophthalmology, he is a Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, and he belongs to the American Ophthalmological Society, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, and the Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (1986)
- Christus St Joseph Hospital (1987), Transitional Year
- Baylor College of Medicine (1990), Ophthalmology
Baylor College of Medicine (1989), Ophthalmology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Ophthalmology
Departments and Programs
- Cataract Surgery
- Ocular Trauma
- Ophthalmologic Education and Training
- Resident experience with toric and multifocal intraocular lenses in a public county hospital system., Roensch MA, Charton JW, Blomquist PH, Aggarwal NK, McCulley JP J Cataract Refract Surg 2012 May 38 5 793-8
- Risk factors for vitreous complications in resident-performed phacoemulsification surgery., Blomquist PH, Morales ME, Tong L, Ahn C J Cataract Refract Surg 2012 Feb 38 2 208-14
- Ocular complications of systemic medications., Blomquist PH Am. J. Med. Sci. 2011 Jul 342 1 62-9
- Ophthalmic Manifestations of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis and Relation to SCORTEN., Morales ME, Purdue GF, Verity SM, Arnoldo BD, Blomquist PH Am. J. Ophthalmol. 2010 Oct 150 4 505-510.e1
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Past President, Dallas Academy of Ophthalmology
Awards and Honors
- Texas Super Doctor (since 2007) - as published in Texas Monthly Magazine (2014)
- D Magazine - Best Doctors in Dallas (2013)
- University of Texas System Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award (2012)
- UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers - Distinguished Teaching Professor (2007)
- American Ophthalmological Society - inducted after acceptance of thesis (2006)
- Ho Din Award - Southwestern Medical Foundation (1986)
- Alpha Omega Alpha - National Medical Honor Society (1985)