Michael Alton Wait, MD Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Michael Wait, M.D., is a cardiothoracic surgeon at Children’s Health℠ who specializes in cardiothoracic care and lung transplantation.
Dr. Wait graduated magna cum laude with a degree in biology from Baylor University, and then received his medical degree from UT Southwestern Medical Center, where he graduated sixth in his class. He completed residencies in internal medicine, general surgery and thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at UT Southwestern-affiliated hospitals.
Dr. Wait is an active member of several committees at UT Southwestern, including the Heart and Lung Selection Committees, the Parkland Surgical Chiefs Committee, Promotion and Tenure Committee, Parkland OR Committee and St. Paul Credentialing Committee.
Dr. Wait is part of cutting-edge research at UT Southwestern and participates in several FDA-approved clinical trials.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolUniversity of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (1983)
ResidencyParkland Memorial Hospital (1992), Cardiothoracic Surgery
UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (1990), General Surgery
UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (1985), Internal Medicine
Research & Publications
- Feasibility Study: A phase 3, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel-Group, Placebo-Controlled Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Intercostal Nerve Block with the Study Drug in Subjects Undergoing Posterolateral Thoracotomy
- Randomized Evaluation of CABG On vs. Off Pump (RECOOP)
- Randomized Trial of Variable Anticoagulation with On-X Valve
- Randomized, Multicenter, Double-Blind, Group Sequential Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Immunogenicity, and Safety of a Single Dose of Merck 0657nI Staphylococcus aureus Vaccine (V710) in Adult Patients Scheduled for Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- The thoracic surgeon's role in the management of patients with HIV infection and AIDS, DiMaio, JM and Wait, MA Chest Surgery Clinics of North America February 1999 9/1 97-112
- Surgical technique - Thoracic organ recovery, Wait MA, Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Ring WSR The Handbook of Organ Retrieval and Preservation 1999 1st Edition Chapter 9
- Management of Multiple Organ Donors, Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Wait MA, Ring WSR The Handbook of Organ Retrieval and Preservation 1999 1st Edition Chapter 8
- Endotherapy for a 5-cm mid-esophageal perforation with tandem stenting above the lower esophageal sphincter (with videos)., Tang SJ, Singh S, Wait MA, Mullican MA, Scott DJ Surg Endosc 2009 May
- Iatrogenic esophageal submucosal dissection after attempted diagnostic gastroscopy (with videos)., Tang SJ, Tang L, Jazrawi SF, Meyer D, Wait MA, Myers LL Laryngoscope 2009 Jan 119 1 36-8
- Perfusion preservation versus static preservation for cardiac transplantation: effects on myocardial function and metabolism., Rosenbaum DH, Peltz M, DiMaio JM, Meyer DM, Wait MA, Merritt ME, Ring WS, Jessen ME J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2008 Jan 27 1 93-9
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- Southern Thoracic Surgical Association (1999-2008)
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons (1996)
- American College of Chest Physicians (1994)
Awards & Honors
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors - "Best In American Medicine" (2008-2013)
- Texas Super Docs - "Best Doctors in Texas" featured in Texas Monthly and D Magazine (2006-2012)
- President's Research Council Award - UTSouthwestern (1993)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (1983)
- Alpha Epsilon Delta - Premedical Honor Society (1979)
- Phi Beta Kappa - (1979)