Jess Thomas Whitson, MD Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Jess T. Whitson, M.D., is an ophthalmologist at Children’s Health℠.
Dr. Whitson completed his undergraduate and medical degrees at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore and a residency in ophthalmology at UT Southwestern. Dr. Whitson went on to a yearlong glaucoma fellowship in the Department of Ophthalmology at Emory University in Atlanta.
Dr. Whitson is board certified in ophthalmology and has been an Associate Examiner with the American Board of Ophthalmology since 2005. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), where he sits on the Annual Meeting Program Committee. Dr. Whitson also belongs to the Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology, and he is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Whitson is a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society and is a past recipient of the Achievement Award from the AAO. He is listed in Woodward-White’s Best Doctors in America, Texas Monthly’s Super Doctors and in the Consumers’ Research Council of America’s Guide to America’s Top Ophthalmologists.
Dr. Whitson is a reviewer for several professional journals and has authored more than 75 publications.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolJohns Hopkins University (1986)
InternshipUT Southwestern Medical Center (1987), Internal Medicine
ResidencyUT Southwestern Medical Center (1991), Ophthalmology
FellowshipEmory University Hospital (1992), Ophthalmology
UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (1988), Ophthalmology
Research & Publications
- Acanthamoeba Keratitis and glaucoma
- Drugs to treat glaucoma
- Hereditary features of glaucoma
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Glaucoma Society
- Diplomat, American Board of Ophthalmology
- European Glaucoma Society
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
Awards & Honors
- Texas Monthly Magazine - Super Doctors (2014)
- D Magazine - Best Doctors in Dallas (2013)
- Consumers’ Research Council of America - America’s Top Ophthalmologists (2011)
- Who’s Who - Executives and Professionals (2011)
- Board of Directors - Dallas Academy of Ophthalmology, 2011-2014 (0)