Dorothy M. Sendelbach, MD $$
Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Languages Spoken:
Dorothy Sendelbach, M.D., is a pediatric primary care physician at Children’s Health℠ who specializes in breastfeeding and newborn and infant care.
After receiving her medical degree from the University of Medicine and Dentistry in New Jersey, Dr. Sendelbach completed a residency in pediatrics at Children’s Health Dallas.
I decided to go into medicine because I am able to simultaneously combine a love for science and caring for others
"I decided to go into medicine because I am able to simultaneously combine a love for science and caring for others," Dr. Sendelbach says. "I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction by educating younger physicians while at the same time providing excellent health care to our patients."
Dr. Sendelbach was named Child Advocate of the Year by the Greater Texas chapter of the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners in 2004 and the Parkland Hospital Physician of the Year in 2009. She is also an elected member of the UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers and the University of Texas System Kenneth I. Shine, M.D., Academy of Health Science Education.
In her free time, Dr. Sendelbach enjoys cooking, traveling, reading and spending time with her family. She also enjoys volunteering at the Agape Clinic, which offers free medical services to those in the greater Dallas metropolitan area.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- NJ Medical School/Univ of Med and Dentistry of NJ (1982)
- Children's Medical Center Dallas (1985), Pediatrics
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics
Departments and Programs
- Complete blood counts (CBC) in term infants with exposure to pretreated chorioamnionitis
- Duration of antibiotic treatment of pneumonia in term newborns
- Noninvasive bilirubin measurements
- Newborn Nursery Pink Manual, House Staff Orientation and Guidelines to Common Questions, Jackson GL., Sendelbach D. November 1999
- Association of hypocalcemia with a change in gentamicin administration in neonates., Jackson GL. Sendelbach DM. Stehel EK. Baum MG. Manning MD. Engle WD. Pediatric Nephrology 2003 18 653-656
- Pneumonia in term neonates: laboratory studies and duration of antibiotic therapy, Engle WD. Jackson GL. Sendelbach DM. Stehel EK. Ford DM. McHugh KM. Norris MR. Vedro DA. Journal of Perinatology 2003 23 372-377
- Assessment of a transcutaneous device in the evaluation of neonatal hyperbilirubinemia in a primarily Hispanic population., Engle WD. Jackson GL. Sendelbach DM. Manning D. Frawley WH. Pediatrics July 2002 110 (1) 61-67
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Association of Pediatric Program Directors
Awards and Honors
- Elected to Membership - UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers (2015)
- Elected to Membership - The University of Texas Kenneth I. Shine MD Academy of Health Science Education (2015)
- Inducted to Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (2014)
- Physician of the Year - Parkland Hospital (2009)
- Child Advocate of the Year - Greater Texas Chapter of the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (2004)
- James J. Slade Scholar - Rutgers College of Engineering (1978)
- Summa Cum Laude - Rutgers College of Engineering (1978)