Barry Hicks, M.D., is a pediatric general and thoracic surgeon at Children’s Health℠. He is a professor of Surgery at UT Southwestern. His special clinical interests include care of the injured child, surgical management of congenital extrahepatic biliary disease and neonatal surgery.
Dr. Hicks earned his medical degree from Indiana University School of Medicine. He completed his general surgery training at Vanderbilt University Medical Center and his pediatric surgery fellowship at Columbia University Irving Medical Center. Dr. Hicks founded the Pediatric Trauma Program at Children’s Health and was instrumental in the development and formation of the pediatric surgery fellowship program at Children’s Health.
Dr. Hicks lives in Dallas with his wife, who is a pediatrician working in the Complex Care Clinic at Children’s Health. They have two children and two grandchildren, who keep them extremely busy when they are not at the hospital.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Indiana University School of Medicine (1984)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (1985), General Surgery
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (1991), General Surgery
- New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University (1993), Pediatric Surgery
- Board Certification
- American Board of Surgery/Pediatric Surgery