Ayanna Butler-Cephas, M.D., is a pediatric endocrinologist at Children’s Health℠. Dr. Butler-Cephas specializes in general endocrinology and childhood diabetes. She is an assistant professor of pediatrics at UT Southwestern.
Dr. Butler-Cephas earned her medical degree at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science. She completed her residency in pediatrics at Advocate Hope Children’s Hospital and a fellowship in pediatric endocrinology at Emory University School of Medicine.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Butler-Cephas teaches medical students, residents and fellows evidence-based care for children with diabetes and related conditions. Dr. Butler-Cephas is board-certified in General Pediatrics and Pediatric Endocrinology by the American Board of Pediatrics.
“Patient and family education is an important part of my practice,” says Dr. Butler-Cephas. “I think it is important to take the time to help my patients and their families really understand their condition so they can best manage their condition, which can lead to better outcomes.”
Dr. Butler-Cephas has a case module published online with the Pediatric Endocrine Society titled Ethical Issues in Children with Disorders of Sexual Development. She is an invited presenter at medical conferences and has had poster presentations at multiple national conferences. Dr. Butler-Cephas won first place in the Pediatric Endocrine Society Ethics Essay Competition in 2013. She is an active member of the Pediatric Endocrine Society, where she served on the Ethics Committee.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Rosalind Franklin University of Health and Medicine (2008)
- Advocate Christ Medical Center (2011), Pediatrics
- Emory Univ School of Med, Atlanta, GA (2014), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics/Endocrinology
- Diabetes mellitus
Awards and Honors
- Dean's Scholarship (1999), Washington University
- Ralph Bunche Scholar Award (2000-2002), Washington University
- Travel Award for PAS/PES (2013), Pediatric Endocrine Society
- Ethics Essay Competition, 1st Place (2013), Pediatric Endocrine Society
- Early Career Forum Travel Award (2013), Endocrine Society
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.