Ayesha Noor Zia, MD $$ Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Ayesha Zia, M.D., is a pediatric hematologist at the Children’s Health℠ Hemostasis Thrombosis Center who specializes in pediatric patients with bleeding and clotting disorders.
Dr. Zia also leads the multidisciplinary Young Women’s Blood Disorders Clinic that is focused on improving the care of adolescent girls with menorrhagia and bleeding disorders, as well as girls with thrombophilia. It is the first and only program in North Texas that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of bleeding and clotting disorders, as well as the accompanying reproductive problems, in young women.
Dr. Zia is also the co-investigator for several clinical trials investigating new treatments in hemostasis and thrombosis, including new medications for hemophilia, von Willebrand disease and blood clots.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolKing Edward Medical College, Lahore (2002)
InternshipUniversity of OK Health Sciences Center (2007), Pediatrics
ResidencyChildrens Hospital of Michigan GME (2009), Pediatrics
FellowshipChildrens Hospital of Michigan GME (2013), Pediatric Cardiology
Childrens Hospital of Michigan GME (2012), Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Research & Publications
- Developing a Multidisciplinary Young Women’s Blood Disorders Program: A Single Centre Approach with Guidance for Other Centres, Zia, A, Lau, M, Journeycake, J, Sarode, R, Kouides, P. Haemophilia 2016 Jan 29.
- Hypercoagulability in adolescent girls on oral contraceptives- Global coagulation profiles and estrogen receptor polymorphisms, Zia A, Callaghan M, Chitlur M, Callaghan J, Sawni A, Bartlett H, Rajpurkar M. Am J Hematol. 2015 Aug;90(8):725-31
- Thromboelastography identifies children with rare bleeding disorders and predicts bleeding phenotype, Ayesha N. Zia, Meera Chitlur, Madhvi Rajpurkar, Michael Callaghan Haemophilia 2014
- Management of Thrombotic Complications in Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia., Zia AN, Chitlur M Indian J Pediatr 2013 Aug
- Emergency department visits in children with hemophilia., Özgönenel B, Zia A, Callaghan MU, Chitlur M, Rajpurkar M, Lusher JM Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013 Jul 60 7 1188-91
- Hereditary intrinsic factor deficiency in chaldeans., Sturm AC, Baack EC, Armstrong MB, Schiff D, Zia A, Savasan S, de la Chapelle A, Tanner SM JIMD Rep 2013 7 13-8
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia and vitamin B12 deficiency secondary to a gastric intrinsic factor gene mutation., Zia A, Fisgin T, Sokolowski C, Tanner SM, Savasan S Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Oct 59 4 766-7
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Society (2011)
- National Hemophilia Foundation (NHF) (2011)
- American Society of Hematology (ASH) (2009)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (ASPHO) (2009)
- Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (2002)
Awards & Honors
- American Society of Hematology Clinical Research Training Institute Participant (2013)
- Wolf Zuelzer Research Award - Award Recipient for outstanding research during pediatric Hematology/Oncology fellowship (2012)
- Chief Fellow in Pediatric Hematology Oncology (2011)
- National Hemophilia Foundation (NHF) Clinical Fellowship Award - Award Recipient with $200,000 funded during award period (2011-2013)