Give Busy Books
Busy Book Instructions
For a little patient in a waiting room, boredom can set in quickly. Assemble a “Busy Book” to entertain them as they wait.
1. Coloring/Activity Pages--One of the easiest ways to make these books is by purchasing coloring/activities books, tearing out 4-5 pages and putting them into a packet. You can also print coloring/activity pages from child friendly websites such as http://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pages/. If you print your own books, half of letter size (4.25 by 5.5 inches) is the preferred size.
2. Yarn or Staples—Please use only one staple in the left corner or a string of yarn to bind the book together.
3. Tape—Use tape to secure the crayons to the books.
4. Crayons—Attach at least 3 different colored crayons to the busy book.
Busy Book Guidelines
The following guidelines have been created to help you with your project:
1. Make Your Busy Book Generic -- Making a book that is suitable for either a boy or a girl helps us speed the delivery of busy books
2. Avoid Specific Spiritual or Holiday References -- We serve a very diverse patient population. As a result, our patients celebrate several different holidays during the month of December. Many do not celebrate Easter. And some may not be familiar with holidays that are more familiar to citizens of the U.S.
3. Decorate with Crayons, Markers, or Watercolors -- Patients enjoy receiving colorful busy books. However, to avoid choking hazards for our little ones, please do not use glue to add any items to busy books - this includes glitter, feathers, and other seemingly non-hazardous items.
4. Neutral Messages are Best -- We ask that you use neutral messages. Appropriate Messages: Thinking of you, Just want to say Hi! , Sending you sunny smiles, Hope to brighten your day.
Delivery & Donation Form
Prior to delivering items, we ask that you complete a donation form and bring it with you when you deliver your donation. Please include an estimate of the number of hours it took for you to complete the project. The time spent on the project is used in our year end report. An example of how volunteers how should be calculated is: 4 students spent 1 hour making busy books = 4 volunteer hours.
To Deliver Items to the Dallas Campus
To schedule a delivery to the Dallas campus, email Volunteer_services@childrens.com with the subject heading "Busy Books Community Project" please include your contact information along with the quantity of items and time you would like to make your delivery. Items may be delivered Monday to Friday 9 AM to 5 PM. Someone will contact you to verify your delivery information.
To Deliver Items To the Legacy Location
By Mail: Mail to Volunteer Services, 7601 Preston Rd., Plano, TX 75024.
By Car: Deliver Busy Books Monday to Friday 9 AM to 5 PM to Volunteer Services, 7601 Preston Road, Plano, TX 75024. Pull your car into valet parking, let the valet know that you are delivering items.