Liver Transplant: Referral Directory
Why Children's Medical Center?
- The surgeons on the medical staff use techniques such as reduced-size livers, whole livers and split livers to increase access to organs for candidates.
- Our center is fully contained within a children's facility.
- The opportunity for living-related liver transplant can be explored. Children's and Baylor University Medical Center performed the first living-related liver transplant in North Texas in 2000.
- Continuum of care as the child grow from Children's to adult facilities.
- Dev M. Desai, M.D., Ph.D. – Liver/Kidney Transplant Surgical Director
- John Andersen, M.D. – Liver/Intestinal Transplant Medical Director
- Amal Aqul, M.D. – Transplant Hepatologist
- Christine Hwang, M.D. – Liver/Kidney Transplant Surgery
- Juan D. Arenas, M.D. – Liver/Kidney Transplant Surgery
- Jami Gross-Toalson, Ph.D. – Pediatric Transplant Psychologist
- Lisa Cutright, MSN, RN, CPNP-PC/AC, CCTC – Liver/Intestine Transplant Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Lesli McConnell, PA-C – Liver/Intestine Transplant Physician Assistant
- Monica Harrison, RN, BSN, CCTC – Liver Transplant Coordinator
- April Berry, RN, BSN – Liver Transplant Coordinator
- Dianne Johnson, RN, BSN – Liver Transplant Coordinator
- Lindy Moore, PharmD – Pediatric Transplant Pharmacist
- Kirstin Brown, LMSW – Clinical Social Worker Liver/Intestine Transplant
- Jill Rockwell, RD, LD, CNSD – Clinical Dietician Liver/Intestine Transplant
- Melanie Elliott, CCLS – Child Life Specialist for Pediatric Transplant
Description of services:
The liver transplant program is committed to providing comprehensive and responsive care for children requiring liver transplantation. In order to accommodate the many facets of liver transplant care, including medical and psychosocial factors, the center is composed of a diversified team of pediatric experts, including social workers, dietitians, child life specialists, pharmacists, financial counselors and transplant coordinators.
Common diagnoses we treat
- Liver failure
- Biliary atresia
- Metabolic liver diseas
- Intrahepatic liver disease
- Alagille syndrome
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Chronic acute hepatitis
- Wilson's disease
- Liver tumors
- Cystic fibrosis
Liver transplantation services we offer:
- Deceased donor
Information for referral services:
- Pre-authorization is required by all insurance plans. Please call 214-456-8600.
- To avoid unnecessary testing, have the family bring relevant medical records, test results and X-rays to the appointment.
- Services are provided in close cooperation with the patient's referring physician.
- Diagnosis, evaluation and recommended treatment information is provided promptly to the referring physician.
Please provide the following when calling to schedule a patient for a diagnostic evaluation:
- Patient name and date of birth
- Probable diagnosis
- Insurance/referral information
- Physician clinical findings or symptoms which caused the patient to visit physician