Kidney Transplant: Referral Directory
Why Children's Medical Center?
- Our employees and the physicians on the medical staff provide an integrated and comprehensive approach to the care of children with kidney problems.
- The physicians on our medical staff will notify you about your patient's condition and therapy.
- A nephrologist is always on call to discuss a patient with you.
- The nephrology program addresses kidney-related conditions across a continuum of care from pre-end stage to dialysis, transplant and post-transplant follow-up care.
- An inpatient unit with staff specially trained in providing care for all nephrological diseases and modes of treatment including hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and renal transplantation.
- Continuum of care as the child grow from Children's to adult facilities.
- Dev M. Desai, M.D., Ph.D. – Division Director of Pediatric Transplantation, Kidney Transplant Surgical Director
- Christine Hwang, M.D. – Kidney Transplant Surgery
- Juan D. Arenas, M.D. – Kidney Transplant Surgery
- Mouin G. Seikaly, M.D. – Kidney Transplant Medical Director
- Michel G. Baum, M.D. – Kidney Transplant
- Raymond P. Quigley, M.D. – Kidney Transplant
- Jami Gross-Toalson, Ph.D. – Pediatric Transplant Psychologist
- Jerry Perry, RN, CCTC – Post Kidney Transplant Coordinator
- Stephanie Montalvo, RN – Post Kidney Transplant Coordinator
- Laura Fabiani, RN – Abdominal Intake Coordinator
- Lindy Moore, PharmD – Pediatric Transplant Pharmacist
- Kirstin Brown, LMSW – Clinical Social Worker Kidney Transplant
- Jade Tunnell, RD, LD – Clinical Dietitian Kidney Transplant
- Melanie Elliott, CCLS – Child Life Specialist for Pediatric Transplant
Description of services:
The renal transplant program at Children's provides medical and surgical support to children with renal failure. This support is provided by a team of professionals from services such as clinical nutrition, social work, nursing, pastoral care, child life, psychology, financial counseling physicians and surgeons.
Other services are provided dependent upon the individual child, illness or status.
Common diagnoses we treat:
- Renal Dysplasia
- Cystic Kidney Disease
- Congenital Nephrotic Syndrome
- Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis
- Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis
- IgA Nephropathy
- Hereditary Glomerulopathy
- Alport Syndrome
- Obstructive Uropathy
- Wilm's Tumor
Kidney transplantation services we offer:
- Deceased donor
- Paired donor exchange
- Desensitization of the potential transplant recipient
Information for referral services:
- A written referral from physician or referral source is required. Call 214-456-2781 to refer a patient.
- Pre-authorization may be required.
- Patient instructions for specific tests will be provided when the appointment is scheduled.
- To avoid unnecessary testing, have the family bring relevant medical records, test results and X-rays to the appointment.
- Services are provided in close cooperation with the patient’s referring physician.
- Diagnosis, evaluation and recommended treatment information is provided promptly to the referring physician.
Please provide the following when calling to schedule a patient for a diagnostic examination:
- Patient name and date of birth
- Probable diagnosis
- Insurance/referral information
Appointments are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Telephone support from a registered nurse is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.