Psychiatry and Psychological Services: Making the Decision for Admission
- If you are considering admitting your child to our inpatient unit, contact our intake coordinator at 214-456-8899. You will be given detailed information regarding our program and the process for admission.
- The decision to admit a patient to our program is made by a physician based on information obtained by the intake coordinator. This information may be from a parent, the patient's primary physician or the patient's current treatment team and will determine the appropriate level of care.
- You and your child are encouraged to tour our facility and ask questions about our program before your child is admitted. If this isn't possible, you may accompany your child on a tour and introduction to the program after the intake meeting.
Psychiatry and Psychological Services: Program
- A group of professional staff members from our center will work together as a team to help your child with their problems.
- Families will assist the team in the development of a treatment plan that focuses on the reason for your child's hospitalization and uses your child's specific strengths and needs to design an individual program.
- Staff will help your child develop daily goals to work toward release from the hospital. Family participation in all aspects of your child's care is very important.
- Patients will be involved in groups that work on setting goals, improving social skills, as well as other activities that will help them achieve their therapeutic goals.
- The staff will help you in completing forms necessary to allow our teachers to communicate with your child's school and facilitate the continuity of the education process while here.
Psychiatry and Psychological Services: Family visits
- Visiting hours
- Monday through Friday 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday 4:15 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Visitor parking is located in the Green Park garage. It is $3 to park. You may pay for parking at the Green Park cashier from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., Monday through Friday. You must pay by cash or token on the weekends. Discounted parking passes may be purchased at the cashier desk.
Valet parking is available at the main campus Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m for $8.
Psychiatry and Psychological Services: Paying for the stay
- The business manager can answer your questions about your financial responsibilities by calling 214-456-8831.
Psychiatry and Psychological Services: What to bring
- Four to five sets of clothing
- Sweater or jacket
- Toiletries (i.e. toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo)
- Bed spread or favorite blanket
- One or two stuffed animals,
- Robe or slippers
- Battery-operated CD player
- CD's in original cases
Items not allowed
- Tape recorders or radio with a cord
- Cassette cases
- Wire hangers
- Matches or cigarettes
- Glass containers, including flower vases
- Cell phones or pagers
- Sharp items, such as knives, pins, tacks or scissors
- Frames with glass covering
- Plants or flowers in potted soil
- Gum or candy
All clothing must be appropriate. Patients are permitted from wearing tightly fitted clothing and clothes that may have suggestive slogans. If the staff deems clothing inappropriate, your child will be given a pair of scrubs to wear until you are able to bring them appropriate clothing.
Upon admission, a staff member will check your child's belongings. They will answer any questions you may have about items not included in our lists. Any items that might be considered unsafe will be sent home. Expensive items or items of great sentimental value which could be difficult to replace should be sent home as Children's cannot assume responsibility for such possessions.