Pain Management: Referral Directory
- Alan C. Farrow-Gillespie, M.D. - Medical Director
- Thomas L. Spain, Jr., M.D. - Inpatient and Outpatient Pain Management
- Lynn Clark , MS, RN, C, CPNP - Acute and Chronic Pain Management / Clinical Manager
- Britney Cox , MS, RN, CPNP-PC - Acute and Chronic Pain Management
- Alicia Haag , RN, FNP-C - Acute and Chronic Pain Management
- Kris Sanders, MBA - Pain Management Practice Manager
Description of services:
The Pediatric Pain Management Center offers inpatient and outpatient treatment for children. Direct care or consultative services are available for inpatients with pain resulting from surgical procedures, associated with complex medical problems, or with pain refractory to standard treatment.
Outpatients are treated by a multidisciplinary team of pain management specialists. A comprehensive treatment plan is developed and appropriate diagnostic studies, medications, and advanced pain technologies will be recommended. Prolonged treatment for certain conditions may be initiated through the pain clinic.
Procedures performed or problems diagnosed and treated:
Advanced pain management interventions:
- Trigger point injections
- Therapeutic epidural injections
- Sympathetic blocks
- Medial branch blocks
- Facet joint injections
- Regional nerve blocks
- Radiofrequency or chemical neurolysis
- Intrathecal (spinal) medication infusions
- Intrathecal pump implantation
- Spinal cord stimulator implantation
Prolonged inpatient therapy with spinal, epidural, or peripheral nerve medication infusion for painful conditions such as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) or cancer pain therapy is available.
Information for referral sources:
- Services are provided in close cooperation with the patient's referring physician.
- Diagnosis, evaluation and recommended treatment information is provided promptly to the referring physician.
- Outpatient consultations and evaluations are available through the Children’s specialty clinics and may be requested by the physician managing the patient’s care.
Please provide the following when calling to schedule a patient for a diagnostic examination:
- Patient name and date of birth
- Probable diagnosis
- Insurance/referral information
- Brief medical history of painful condition
- Results of any metabolic or radiologic exams completed prior to the referral
Why Children's Medical Center?
- A caring, specialty-trained, pain management team evaluates and treats acute and chronic pain in children through a comprehensive program.
- Our staff is comprised of board-certified physicians in anesthesia and/or pain management, and nurses with specialty training in pediatric pain management.
- Children’s Medical Center promotes a pain-free environment for our pediatric patients through a holistic approach to pain management. We strive to make each patient’s experience as pain- and stress-free as possible by pain-relieving interventions for needle punctures, therapeutic massage, play therapy, music therapy, and other child-friendly techniques.