Neuro-Oncology: Referral Directory
Kaye Schmidt, RN, MA, CPON
Description of services:
The physicians on the medical staff in the neuro-oncology program treat children with tumors of the central nervous system and provide comprehensive treatment programs, including:
- Radiation therapy
- Bone marrow transplantation
- Phase I and II drugs certified by the National Institutes of Health protocols
This program, through the physicians on the medical staff, works together as a formal tumor board and participates in the Children’s Oncology Group to deliver protocol-driven care.
Procedures performed or problems diagnosed and treated:
- Tumor resection using the frameless stereotactic image guidance
- Diagnosis, treatment and comprehensive follow-up of all brain and spinal cord tumors including:
- Pilocytic Astrocytoma
- Brain stem glioma
- High grade glioma
- Optic pathway tumors
Information for referral sources:
- Patient must have a diagnosis of a central nervous system tumor and should be referred by a physician.
- Patient instructions for specific tests will be provided when the appointment is scheduled.
- To avoid unnecessary testing, have the family bring relevant medical records, test results and X-rays to the appointment.
- Services are provided in close cooperation with the patient’s referring physician.
- Diagnosis, evaluation and recommended treatment information is provided promptly to the referring physician.
Please provide the following when calling to schedule a patient for a diagnostic examination:
- Patient name and date of birth
- Reason for referral
- Physician clinical findings or symptoms which caused the patient to visit physician
Why Children's Medical Center?
- The physicians on the medical staff are a multidisciplinary group and include specialists in oncology, neurosurgery, neuro-radiology, neurology and radiation oncology.
- The neuro-oncology center at Children’s is the largest pediatric brain tumor center in North Texas.
- Children’s participates in national brain tumor research studies so we can offer our patients access to the latest therapies.