International Adoption Medicine: Referral Directory
Physician ContactsCarla Garcia , M.D.
Hospital Contacts:Elizabeth Reina
Key ContactsCrista E. Wetherington , Ph.D.
Description of Services
- Comprehensive evaluation of the child’s medical record before adoption begins including notable aspects of the child’s birth, medical history, growth pattern and reported physical examination.
- Suggestions for diet and nutrition while traveling and initially home.
- Prescription medications for travel.
- Support for families while traveling abroad.
- Extensive physical examination of the child 1 to 2 weeks after arriving.
- Developmental screening by a child psychologist if warranted.
- Comprehensive lab screening.
- Referrals for vision and hearing screenings and other services, as needed.
Information for referral sources:
- Self-referral or healthcare professional referral accepted.
- Services are provided in close cooperation with the patient’s referring physician.
- Follow-up evaluation and recommended treatment information is provided promptly to the referring physician.
Please provide the following when calling to schedule a patient for an evaluation:
- Patient name and date of birth
- For post-adoption screenings, provide insurance/referral information
Why Children's Medical Center
- Our services include medical evaluations before adoption, initial health screens and follow-up care for children with special physical, developmental and social-emotional needs.
- The International Adoption Medicine program at Children’s is one of only a few dozen centers in the United States that provides care for internationally adopted children and their families.
- As part of a comprehensive academic medical center, the program offers access to highly qualified specialists in the field who understand the unique medical and social conditions of children from other countries.