Heart Center: Why Children's
The Heart Center at Children's offers a comprehensive program of specialized care for children with congenital and acquired heart diseases. Our multidisciplinary group of specialists work together to meet the full range of pediatric cardiac needs, including prenatal consultation, non-invasive diagnostic imaging, interventional catheterization, electrophysiology (including catheter ablation and device therapy), cholesterol management and cardiothoracic surgery (including heart transplantation). The Heart Center's team of professionals includes cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, cardiac intensivists, neonatologists and cardiac anesthesiologists. In addition to providing the highest quality clinical and surgical care, we are committed to improving the health of children everywhere by sharing our innovations and research. A vital component of our program at the Heart Center is our commitment to provide detailed cardiac education and support services for our patients and their families.
Heart Center Highlights
- Children's is the first hospital in the nation, pediatric or adult, to receive disease-specific certification for fetal heart care.
- We perform more than 600 cardiac surgical procedures and nearly 400 open-heart procedures each year.
- Two full-time dedicated catheterization laboratories perform interventional and electrophysiology catheterizations.
- Our accredited, comprehensive echocardiography laboratory performs more than 10,500 echocardiograms a year.
- Our new pediatric catheterization lab is one of only three of its kind in the nation. The lab is equipped with state-of-the-art imaging that significantly reduces radiation levels and has a single flatscreen monitor with the capability to display images and information from anywhere in the hospital. The Heart Center's catheterization team performs over 800 catheterizations annually.
- To meet the extraordinary demand of one of the most active cardiac centers in the nation, the Heart Center has a 22-bed inpatient floor with 24 hour live monitoring dedicated to cardiac patients.
- We expanded our state-of-the-art pediatric Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit to 32 beds in 2014. The Cardiovascular ICU at Children's is the only one in North Texas staffed full-time with intensivists trained in both cardiac and critical care medicine.
- The first pediatric heart transplant in North Texas was performed at Children's in 1988. Since then, our surgeons have implanted more than 130 new hearts in children, giving them a new lease on life. It is among the most active heart transplant centers in the country
- Our surgical team continues to pioneer advances in minimally invasive and bypass techniques to provide better outcomes for our children.