The most common way patients are referred to the Family-Focused Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children is through their physician.
The referral criteria for new patients are:
- Any patient who is newly identified as deaf or hard of hearing at any age with any degree or laterality of hearing change (confirmation with audiogram and/or diagnostic ABR performed by an audiologist required )
- Any patient already identified as deaf or hard of hearing (confirmed by audiogram/ABR) with specific concerns or needs, such as:
- Understanding methods of communication
- Language delay
- Concerns about psychosocial well-being, self-identity
- Children with multiple medical needs where hearing-related issues may not have been adequately addressed
- Parental experience of isolation
- Medical home provider desiring collaborative support in providing standard of care for deaf/hoh patients
- Children who are transitioning at age 3 out of Early Childhood Intervention to their local education agency
- A family that is new to the Dallas-Fort Worth area
Please request that your physician fax your child’s medical records to 214-456-7644 to the attention of Kim Hightower.
If you have any questions about the referral process, please call 214-456-1260 or email email@example.com.