Asthma Education: Why Children’s Medical Center?
- Individual education is available for inpatients.
- Individual asthma education with a certified asthma educator for patients seen in the Asthma program.
- A home management plan of care for patients is developed by the asthma care team upon discharge.
- An asthma action plan is developed for outpatients in collaboration with the asthma care team.
- Consults with social work, child life, nutrition and other departments as needed.
- Dee Landsaw, RRT - Inpatient
- Anne Crowther, MPH, MCHES - Outpatient
Description of Services
- Comprehensive patient and family education (based on NHLBI guidelines) for all patients seen for asthma.
- Asthma education resource for:
- Community physicians and staff
- Schools, day-care centers and churches
- Community oriented primary care centers
Procedures performed or problems diagnosed and treated:
- Asthma and related problems
Information for referral sources:
- Classes taught by asthma educators.
- All patients admitted to Children’s for asthma receive a personalized home management plan of care and individualized bedside education.