Anesthesiology: Why Children's?
As one of the largest pediatric healthcare providers in the nation, Children's Medical Center is the only facility in North Texas dedicated exclusively to comprehensive and specialized care for children. It serves as the primary pediatric teaching facility for UT Southwestern Medical Center, with a medical staff that conducts research instrumental in developing new treatments and therapies for pediatric diseases.
Equipped with the first Level I trauma center in Texas, Children's performs the largest number of pediatric surgical procedures of any healthcare facility in North Texas.
In 2007, Children's performed more than 20,000 surgeries with an anesthesiology department providing general anesthesia (GA) and operating room (OR) sedation to patients during surgery and pain management following surgery. In addition to their work in operating rooms, anesthesiologists provide treatment for painful procedures or procedures that require a patient to remain motionless for a significant period of time.
With a mission to make life better for children, anesthesiologists at Children's strive to provide the highest quality care at three locations:
- Children's Medical Center Dallas
- Pavilion Surgery Center at Dallas
- Children's Medical Center at Legacy, located in Plano, Texas.
- Along with expanding educational programs and clinical services, the Children's anesthesiology department is actively involved in conducting clinical research trials to expand the current knowledge about new drugs and techniques for pediatric patients.
Along with expanding educational programs and clinical services, the Children's anesthesiology department is actively involved in conducting clinical research trials to expand the current knowledge about new drugs and techniques for pediatric patients.
Children's is one of only 14 national pediatric research centers sanctioned by the National Institutes of Health, and provides a host of support services to ensure your child's treatment is as comfortable as possible.
Some of the services available prior to your hospital visit include:
- Child life specialists — professionals on staff who provide developmentally appropriate information to assist children in understanding and coping with the hospital environment
- Social workers
- Translation Services, including the MARTTI system — My Accessible Real-Time Trusted Interpreter — a two-way, digital video/audio communicator that allows families who speak a language other than English to converse live via web cam with a remote interpreter
- Guest Services
Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesiology
The Heart Center’s team of pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists is responsible for guiding the intraoperative care of patients with congenital heart disease when these children must undergo any of a multitude of cardiac, as well as non-cardiac, surgical or diagnostic procedures. These physicians are from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, and have all received specialized training to manage the pain associated with cardiac surgery.
The anesthesiologist will discuss the sedation process with the patient and family prior to the operation, administer the proper anesthetics to ensure the child is asleep and feeling no pain during the procedure, and closely monitor them after the surgery until they are stabilized in the cardiovascular intensive unit.