Music Therapy Internship
The music therapy program at Children’s Medical Center is committed to providing quality education and training for future music therapy professionals. Students will have the opportunity to work with board certified music therapists, and will receive training in the acute and chronic medical populations and/or pediatric psychiatry settings.
The focus of our practicum program is to provide students with opportunities to observe board certified music therapists, begin to relate music therapy concepts to the medical setting, and build independent professional skills to prepare for a music therapy internship/career. Over the course of the academic semester, students will gain clinical experience in a medical setting. Observation hours are typically arranged to coordinate with the student’s university requirement, but generally range from 2 to 4 hours per week. Practicum opportunities are presently offered on Tuesdays- Thursday. Please specify medical or pediatric psychiatry as your preferred practicum setting.
For practicum starting
Submit with attached documents via email firstname.lastname@example.org(please include your first and last name in the subject line):
- Completed practicum application
- 250-400 word essay explaining how you learned about the field of music therapy and what interests you most about the profession
We offer a 6 month (1040 hour), full-time, unpaid internship designed for students pursuing academic careers in music therapy with the goal of obtaining board certification. During the internship, students will gain experience in all areas of the hospital working with individual patients as well as in group settings. Interns may also participate in Camp Sol, a hospital affiliated organization for families who have experienced the death of a child.
After evaluation of your completed application, letters of reference, and transcript, you may be contacted for a phone interview. Following initial phone interviews, you may also be contacted to participate in a Skype interview with the music therapy team. Selection of interns is based on GPA, letters of recommendation, personal interview and musical skills. Preference will be given to graduate level students or those who have had experience in a hospital environment, either as a practicum student or volunteer.
If you are accepted as an intern at our hospital, your university will be required to engage in a contractual relationship with Children's Medical Center. You will also be required to furnish proof of a drug screen and criminal background check at the beginning of the internship. Additional pertinent information will be provided upon acceptance.
For internship starting
Applicant Notified By
Applicant Acceptance By
24 hours after offer
24 hours after offer
- Application (PDF)
- Complete official academic transcript from all universities attended
- Three letters of recommendation (non-relatives) addressing the clinical, communication and musical skills of the applicant
- Signed and dated statement of eligibility for internship from academic supervisor
- Current resume
- DVD, or link or computer file of a mock music therapy session (with friends, family, etc.), plus a demonstration of musical skills on piano, guitar and voice.
- Essay of 500 words or less that answers the following questions:
- Why are you interested in becoming a music therapist?
- What is your philosophy of music therapy?
- What are your goals and expectations for this clinical internship?
- What strengths will you bring to this internship?
- What skills do you wish to enhance through this internship experience?
Send the following materials to this address:
Lisa Jones, MA, MT-BC
Child Life Department
Children's Medical Center Dallas
1935 Medical District Drive
Dallas, TX 75235-7794