Jump Start Program for High School Graduates/Early College
About the JumpStart Program
Children's Medical Center is one of the first hospitals in Dallas to launch an innovative recruitment program, called the JumpStart Program, which is specially designed for high school graduates about to enter college.
The JumpStart Program was developed in 2000 to encourage high school graduates who have an interest in pursuing a career in health care. The focus of the program is to provide practical experience and exposure to a variety of health care areas while assisting students in defining their career goals.
The JumpStart Program has now expanded to include students who are in their first few years of college that want to pursue a career in health care.
The summer program lasts eight weeks, Monday thru Friday, beginning in June of each year. Each student will have the opportunity to work closely with department staff, attend educational lectures and tours, and participate in a community service event.
JumpStart students will be paid at the rate of $9/hour.
How to be considered for JumpStartStudents must meet the following criteria to be considered for the JumpStart Program for 2014:
• You must be a high school graduate with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and acceptance/enrollment into an accredited 4-year college or university. No community or junior colleges will be accepted at this time.
• You may also apply if you are already enrolled in a 4-year program and not graduating in 2014. You must have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
• You must be able to complete an eight-week program from June 16t to August 8, 2014.
How do I apply for JumpStart?
Complete the following instructions:• The position will be posted under one specific position titled “Jumpstart Summer Intern” under the “Student Categories” section in the “Careers Job Search” database. Completed applications will be accepted from March 31, 2014, through April 14, 2014.
• Attach your official high school and/or college transcript(s) to the application online. High school graduates must submit their high school transcripts; students enrolled in college must submit all completed semesters of college. Freshman students must submit Fall class grades along with high school transcripts.
• Attach a letter of acceptance to an accredited 4-year college or university to address below if not already enrolled in a university program.
Frequently asked questions about JumpStart
Find answers to frequently asked questions about the JumpStart Program:
Q. Do the transcripts have to be official copies?
A. No, they do not have to be official copies.
Q. May I send in parts of the application now?
A. The transcripts may be mailed if not attached to the application. We will collect them all to complete your online application. All materials must be received by April 14th, 2014.
Q. Do I get to pick what department I want?
A. No, but we will try to place you with your chosen field as best we can. Not all departments participate every year.
Q. Do we provide housing or relocation assistance?
A. No, Children's is unable to provide housing or relocation assistance for this internship.
Children's Medical Center
Career Services/Human Resources
JumpStart – Lisa Thurmon
1935 Medical District Drive
Mail Code ST6.01
Dallas, Texas 75235
Incomplete applications and/or documentation will not be considered. No exceptions will be made past the deadline. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com. Please limit your questions to this email box. We commit to personally answering all emails within two business days of receipt.