Jump Start Program for High School Graduates/Early College
Focusing on the Future Generation of Healthcare
Children's Medical Center is one of the first hospitals in Dallas to launch an innovative recruitment program that is specially designed for high school graduates about to enter college. The JumpStart Program was developed in 2000 to encourage high school graduates with an interest in pursuing a career in healthcare. The focus of the program is to provide practical experience and exposure to a variety of healthcare areas while assisting students in defining their career goals. The program has now expanded to include students are in their first few years of college and want to pursue a career in healthcare.
The summer program is eight weeks, Monday thru Friday, beginning in June of each year. Each student will have the opportunity to work closely with department staff, attend educational lectures and tours, and participate in a community service event. JumpStart students will be paid at the rate of $9/hour.
Student must meet the following criteria to be considered for the JumpStart Program 2013:
- High school graduate with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and acceptance/enrollment into an accredited 4-year college or university. No community or junior colleges will be accepted at this time.
- You may also apply if you are already enrolled in a 4-year program and not graduating in 2013. You must have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Must be able to complete an eight week program beginning June 10th to August 2nd, 2013.
How do I apply?
Complete the following instructions:
- The position is NOW posted under one specific position titled Jumpstart Summer Intern under the Student Categories section in the Careers Job Search database. Completed applications will be accepted starting February 1, 2013 through March 15, 2013.
- Send official high school and/or college transcript(s) to the address below; high school graduates must submit their high school transcripts; students enrolled in college must submit all completed semesters of college. Freshman students must submit Fall class grades along with high school transcripts.
- Send a letter of acceptance to an accredited 4-year college or university to address below if not already enrolled in a university program.
- Send a one-page essay stating your career aspirations and how the JumpStart Program will assist you in reaching your career goals.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do the transcripts have to be official copies? No, they do not have to be official copies.
May I send in parts of the application now? The transcripts and essay may be mailed in separate mailings. We will collect them all to complete your online application. All materials must be received by March 15th, 2013.
Do I get to pick what department I want? No, but we will try and place you with your chosen field as best we can. Not all departments participate every year.
Do we provide housing or relocation assistance? No, Children's is unable to provide housing or relocation assistance for this internship.
Children's Medical Center
Career Services/ Human Resources
JumpStart - Cathy Henesey
1935 Medical District Dr
Mail Code ST6.01
Dallas, Texas 75235
Incomplete applications and/or documentation will not be considered. No exceptions will be made past the deadline. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com. Pleae limit your questions to this email box. We commit to personally answering all emails within 2 business days of receipt.