Dump truck sends car reeling with toddler inside

July 11, 2011

Editor's Note: Dylan Deutsch has a set routine every morning, and most of it revolves around her son, Kade. Once he is ready to go, they head to her parents' house, where he stays while Dylan works. On a recent morning, Dylan snapped Kade into the carseat at 8 a.m., and the next thing she knew she was at Children's Medical Center standing by her son on the stretcher. Dylan tells what it was like to go through a trauma with her son, and why she now drives the extra miles to take him to Children's.

Heather Duge: What brought you and your son to Children's?
Dylan Deutsch: As I was turning onto my parents' street, a dump truck hit our car head on and spun us around. My car ended up a few houses away from my parents' house. I didn't know this at the time, but my 2-year-old, Kade, was knocked unconscious. I couldn't move, so I pushed myself out of the car and stumbled to the front door of my parents' house, while others pulled Kade out of the car. I started blacking out and everything was fuzzy.

HD: Had you ever been to Children's?
DD: No, we live in Tarrant County and always go to a nearby hospital, but the paramedics decided we needed to be at Children's that morning. It turns out that I'm really grateful we ended up there.

HD: Were you injured in the accident?
DD: I was taken to Parkland, where a doctor assessed me, but all I could think of was being with my son, so I asked them to let me go. It was very overwhelming not knowing how he was doing.

HD:  What is your first clear memory of that morning?
DD: The first time I put everything together is when I saw Kade surrounded by people in a room in the Emergency Department at Children's. As soon as I walked in, so many people were explaining Kade's condition to me and reassuring me that everything would be OK. The nurses and doctors kept thanking me for letting them take care of Kade, and I felt just the opposite – these people were there with my son when I couldn't be.

HD: What happened once you got to Children's?
DD: They told me Kade had a subdural bleed, concussion and orbital fracture. People kept coming in and out of his room, and I was amazed at what a huge effort it was to treat him. Everyone was genuinely nice and you could tell they wanted to work with kids. Kade was taken to the intensive care unit and stayed there for three days. He recovered completely in two weeks.

HD: Have you been back to Children's since the accident?
DD: Even though it was an out-of-network referral and I had to pay more for it, I drove the extra miles and took Kade to an ENT appointment at Children's recently. After our experience, I will never take him anywhere else.